1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using wireless router to pick up signal from another wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Yakiba, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yakiba

Yakiba Thread Starter

I have a Netgear WGR614 v6 wireless router and a Westell VersaLink Model 327W modem/wireless router. What I want to do is use one of them to pick up signal from the other and use it as a wired router since my comps don't have wireless cards in them. Basically I would be using one of them as the wireless card and running ethernet cable to the comps from there. Is this possible, and if so how? I'm doing this because the connection point in the house is too far from where I want to put my computer. I am **not** trying to steal someone elses signal.

Very precise step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i'm not familiar with the netgear line but wireless linksys routers can be run wireless or wired with rj-45 cables, to multiple computers.

do you have an ethernet/rj-45 connection on the modem/router, if yes run it to the router and follow the instructions where to connect it or it won't work.

when you setup the router, you won't do anything for the wireless connection

3. Yakiba

Yakiba Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, but you misunderstood the question. Here's what I'm trying to do:

[​IMG]

Basically I'm too cheap to buy a wireless card for the two computers on the first floor, so I wanted to see if I can use the Westell router to receive a wireless signal from the Netgear router, and then just run ethernet cable directly from the Westell into the two computers on the first floor.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What you want is a Wireless Bridge. A few routers can be so configured. The Netgear WGR614 v5 cannot be, and I doubt that feature was added in v6. Check the User Guide for each router and see whether there are instructions for configuring as a "bridge."

Going wireless from 3rd floor to 1st floor can be problematic. That is, even if you buy wireless adapters for the PCs, you may have problems getting a strong enough signal without a repeater (or range extender) or special antennas.

5. Yakiba

Yakiba Thread Starter

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured, which is why I didn't want to go out and potentially waste money on wireless adaptors for the two downstairs PCs.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice