1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

using wireless router with dsl or wifi antenna

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vicks, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

Good evening all:
    The question I have is:
    We spend about 5-6 months a year in a motorhome, and have access to wifi service in the rv parks. I want to know if a wireless router could be used with an outdoor antenna when we are on the road then taken into the house and used with a dsl modem when we are in the house.
    If this is possible, could one of you recommend brand/model that is not too expensive but would do the job.
    Thanks so much in advance.
    Vicks

2. Alternatech

Alternatech

If you can connect wirelessly to the router with your laptop, then you should be able to connect wirelessly to the RV wireless just fine. You don't need a router in between necessarily.

3. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

Alternatech:
    Dah, Dummy me. You would think after being here as long as I have I would have been more explicit with my question.
    The reason for asking about usiing a router is.....
    We use 2 computers.... (his n hers) and both like to be on line at times. But I have been thinking it should work. Just wanted input to be sure before getting a router.

Thanks for your reply.....
    Vicks

4. Alternatech

Alternatech

You can both be online via the wireless and don't need a router in between.

5. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

Don't you need some way for the antenna to 'broadcast' into the coach for the computers to access the wifi?
    Vicks

6. Alternatech

Alternatech

Is the router connecting to a network cable or to wifi itself?

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    vicks, if your laptop can pick up a Wi-Fi signal in the park, so can hers. You will both be using the same Wi-Fi router (or Wireless Access Point) provided by the park. No need for your own.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually if you try to add your own router it won't work. A router is designed to take a wired signal and broadcast it wirelessly, not to take a wireless signal and rebroadcast it. To do that you need a Wireless Repeater(some routers can do this but most can't). But really all you need is wireless cards in each computer that you want to connect to the wifi in the park.
    '

9. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

The challenge is.... The wifi in the rv parks tends to be spotty... I use a USB Hawking Tech amplified antenna right now inside the coach, and would lilke to be able to use both computers on line at the same time. At home, we connect to a dsl modem via ethernet on the desk top and usb long cable for the laptop, and would like to be able to use the lap top someplace other than the office area.
    Some rv'rs use an external antenna on a pvc pole outside to increase the signal and use what some have called a router and others say itis an amplified receiver and before we invest is hardware I was wanting to check it out.
    Thanks so much for the input so far....
    Vicks (vickie)

10. raybro

raybro

At home, you should be able to connect your DSL to a wireless router via the ethernet cable and, assuming both computers have wireless capability, create a home wireless network both computers can connect to at the same time. The laptop should work anywhere in the house, depending on how large your house is and how many walls between the router and where you want to use the laptop. Mind you I've not actually done this with a DSL connection, but have done it with cable. Don't see why it should be any different.

On the RV question,... I've no direct experience there, so I'll keep quiet on that one.

Raybro

11. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

raybro:
    Thanks for your feed back....
    I had thought that system should work for the house. Apreciate confirmation for it. I am thinking that running cable to the router from the outdoor antenna should work too. Just not real sure yet.

Happy Computing.
    Vicks

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No that won't work because thats not the purpose of a router. A router ONLY takes a wired internet signal and then sends it out via wired or wireless. It cannot take a wireless signal and repeat it. That device is called a Wireless Repeater. You could also use a Wireless Bridge to pick the wireless signal and then turn it into a wired signal that you then could share with a switch or router in the RV. Or you could buy high gain antennas for your computers.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice