1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Using XP with no internet connection

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Graham7516, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Graham7516

Graham7516 Thread Starter

I have been given an ex school cast off and XP set up disc, it was my sons intention to use this just for the storage of music and pictures. is it possible to use this as a stand alone machine with no internet connection ?. we keep being refused access as we have to activate the disc. as a complete computer moron can anybody help ?.
    graham.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You certainly can use it with no Internet access.

However, your "we keep being refused access as we have to activate the disc" requires clarification. If you are saying you can't activate Windows because it is not connected to the Internet, the solution to that is to activate it by phone. If you are stuck in an "unable to logon because it is not activated" and "you cant activate it because you cannot logon"... there is a fix for that but I don't remember it.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The fix is that you activate by phone. It only takes a few minutes.

4. Frank4d

Unless the time for activation has expired and you can't logon to Windows to activate it.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep. So far that part hasn't been mentioned as happening so we'll need to wait and see.

6. Graham7516

first of all let me thank all you kind gentlemen for your responses, i'll try to elaborate.
    when i first installed XP two days ago, after the initial installation it worked ok, giving me a thirty day period to activate the disc. i logged off and shut down the computer, when i later started up the computer i got a message saying,
    "the date/time on your system is invalid. please use the date/time applet in the control panel to properly set your system time." i clicked ok which is the only option offered.
    i then get the following,
    "this copy of windows must be activated before you can log on"
    if i reset the computer and go into settings and then standard CMOS settings the date displayed is 22 Oct 1999, if i change this to todays date and press F10 to quit and save then reload XP it works fine until i turn the computer off. and then restart it then the time reverts to 1999 and i.m back with the same problem.
    hope this is of assistance. regards graham.

7. Frank4d

How old is this PC? If it is more than five years, my guess is your CMOS battery is dead. If this is a desktop PC it is fairly easy to replace. If you remove the left side cover, the battery is about the size of a US 5 cent coin and part number is usually CR2032. (Be careful not to break the battery holder).

The date is probably the reason you cannot logon, and as mentioned above you cannot activate it if you can't logon.

8. Graham7516

hi Frank, thanks for that, i was thinking perhaps there was a battery or capacitor not working, i assume because the date reverts to 1999 this was probably when the machine was made, i dont know when it was decommissioned, but it could easily have been sat on a shelf for many years. when i got it the cd draw was broken, which i sorted with some super glue, this is probably why it was taken out of service in the first place.
    i'll let you know how i get on. thanks for all you help and the same to all who responded.
    regards graham.

9. Graham7516

that cured it frank, new battery fitted and it works a dream, thanks very much for all your help. regards graham.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice