1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

UStec TP-IPR8 Router and Linksys 54G Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cmcravey, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmcravey

cmcravey Thread Starter

Hi,

My new home has is pre-wired and uses a UStec TP-IPR8 Router (<http://www.ustecnet.com/tech/tpipr8.html>) to share my broadband connection with every room in the house and provide a home networking environment.

I want to add my Linksys WAP54G Wireless Router (<http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=575>) onto the network so that I can connect wirelessly too.

Can anyone help me out with the appropriate settings for the Linksys and/or the TP-IPR8 so that I can accomplish my goal??? They don't seem to want to cooperate for me!

Thanks in advance,
    Colin

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First Step: Plug a computer to the Wireless Router, change the IP address of the wireless router so that it's in the same subnet as the main Router (the one that is connected to the Internet Modem); give it an IP that doesn’t conflict with the main router's base IP address, or the DHCP server range. This will ensure that you can reach the admin server of the old router from any LAN machine, and that the Wireless Clients IPs are assigned correctly.

For Example:

- Main Router’s base address is 192.168.1.1, with a DHCP server range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200

- Set the Cable/DSL Router to (the one you're using as an Access Point) base address to any IP address between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99

Second Step: Switch Off the DHCP on the Wireless Cable/DSL Router.

Plug the Wireless Router to the main Router. Regular Port to Regular Port, using crossover cable (or straight patch if one port is an Uplink or auto-sensing).

The WAN input of the Wireless Router should stay open, do not connect any thing to the WAN input of the secondary router.

3. cmcravey

cmcravey Thread Starter

Hi,

I followed your instructions and everything works exactly as I need it to now!!! Thank you very much!!! I really appreciate it...

Colin

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad it helped. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/197621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice