UT choppy after XP install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stitch_that

Hi All ,
I've just had a full install of XP Pro + SP1 on a clean hard drive , my comp seems to be running like a dream except for Unreal Tournament. It's very choppy and both my keyboard and mouse movements feel over responsive . I've upgraded DirectX to v9b and I'm using the latest nvidia 45.23 drivers . I've tried several servers and a practice session but get the same symptoms everywhere , even when I spectate all the other players are choppy as though they're getting a little packet loss .
I was just wondering if anybody had experienced similar problems and had found a cure ? .

T.I.A.
Stitch

Stitch_that

Hi McTimson,
Thanks for the speedy response.
Yeah I've tried world and player detail at all the settings , coronas on/off , decals on/off and I was also running DirectX 8.1 and 30.82 drivers before I upgraded to 9.0b and 45.23's to see if that helped.Also tried both d3d and OpenGL .
It was running fine under W98 but I have noticed a vast improvement in the graphics with XP , everything seems much brighter and more defined I just wish it was running smooth.

Stitch

Stitch_that

Sorry Guys , I lied :( . It was ok for about 3 games then it went back to being choppy again , I'm thinking that as the updated soundcard drivers gave me a temporary respite that my problem may be driver related , what you think ? . I'll look into my mobo drivers .

Is it possible for me to run two operating systems so that I can play UT on W98 ?

Have you update the via 4 in 1 chipset drivers? That's also an option......This certainly seems to be a driver problem. I dont see any other reason your games shouldnt scream!

i had a similar problem running this game and after trying everything possible it turned out that one of my dimms was damaged. Download and run memtest (do a search for it) it should take about an hour to run. If it finishes the test at least you know that your memory is ok.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online