1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Utilizing backup service provider automatically

Discussion in 'Networking' started by speederpro4, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. speederpro4

speederpro4 Thread Starter

Dear all,

I have several servers running. Everytime when our ISP goes down, our whole company come to almost a halt. We do have a back up ISP that we didn't utilize because of configurations problem. By the time we finish configuring to use our backup ISP, all work that are not save on the server would have already been lost. And yes, some of our server are off site as we have many branches.

I want to use our primary ISP whenever possible unless it is down or when signals drop frequently. I have heard about load balancing device. I believe it is a router with load balancing capabilities. If so, I have another problem. We have multiple email server and web server that are serving different purposes. The router would have to be able to support VPN to multiple locations, able to support multiple servers, and servers providing same service on the same port number.

Does anyone know of any solutions?

Here is a summary of requirements:
    - Able to support VPN to multiple locations
    - Able to support VPN to netopia router (from history, the company has problem using ciisco router to connect to a remote site because the remote site is using netopia. Unsure what the actual problem was as I wasn't employed at the time)
    - Able to support multiple server running same application and same port number (eg. two apache webserver on port 80 and two email server on port 25 and 110)
    - Able to load balance when primary fails to provide consistent stable service.

Please help and thanks in advance.

2. rhynes

rhynes

I had 2 clients running netopia routers, they both wound up in the garbage... Cisco can cross connect with pretty much anything, if it can't then it's not worth it. Dlinks will very happily tap into the cisco vpn.

I've been using the cisco PIX series (soon retired) and the ASA (replacement for pix) for a while now, they offer bulletproof vpn's as long as internet is stable. You can have multiple internet connections very easily.

I've also used the 1800 series routers but you need addons for it. If cost isn't an issue, look into these.

3. speederpro4

speederpro4 Thread Starter

Thanks rhynes.

It seems like cost is the only hindrances to my solution right now. Our internet has been really stable for years untill the last couple weeks where we were up and down. The ISP say they are doing maintenance work. I will have to wait till our next budget to see if we can afford those equipment...Anyhow, thanks.

4. srhoades

srhoades

See if you can budget a T1. They almost all guarantee 99% uptime.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

At 1.5mbit, T1 is painfully slow nowadays, unless you're actually talking about a faster service. I'd be budgeting for something a little speedier. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice