1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

V2x

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lisaa7002, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

My friend was having pop-up problems I ran her Spybot and it came up with a bunch of mysearch ect. stuff (84 things). I got rid of a bunch of programs out of her Add & Remove, and a few in her program files. She has dsl so is always connected apparently. As soon as you opened a internet window it turned into an ad for Spyware Deleter, with several pop-ups on top of that for the same thing. I tried to get to tomcoyote to download HJT, but everytime I went to that page it just shut the window. I ran spybot again & it came up with the V2X things & I deleted all but 2 of those that were supposed to be done on reboot. But then we got continuous popups & I just shut it down. Now when you start up it won't leave the username screen. I ran the norton systemworks 2003 emergancy virus boot thing, but it just said no viruses found. Is there anyway to get past that screen w/o a boot disk????? She has a Compaq & it has a partition for that (to make a boot disk from) and you are supposed to make a disk, but being just barely able to run things she didn't make one. ANY ideas????? or Do we just have to contact compaq about a boot disk? Thanks as usual! Lisa

2. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

I called compaq for her. It seems that her warranty ran out on Sep. 10th so she will have to pay $23 for the recovery cd!!! When I got mine for Dell it was $5. Is there anything else she can do or anywhere else she can get it from??? Mine says to only use it on a dell, but are there generic ones you can get? Help! Thanks!

3. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

Anyone???

4. KrashedKris

KrashedKris

Sorry I can't help with the boot problem, but just to say in terms of removing VX2 which I guess was the original problem, it's worth trying AdAware SE 1.05 from Lavasoft -

http://www.lavasoft.de/

After downloading, installing and updating the main program, go back and get the VX2 Cleaner add-on and install and run that per instructions, as far as I know it's the best way of dealing with VX2.

hth (y)

5. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

Thanks! I already knew about the Adaware, she just hadn't installed it. I'm hoping we'll be able to get in there, but it's not looking promicing.

Anyone know if starting in safe mode might get me past the username screen?

6. KrashedKris

KrashedKris

Yes, definitely worth trying to boot to safe mode. If you can get there, then have a bit of a system clean up, i.e. delete cookies/temp files/history from Internet Explorer, run the Windows Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter tools.

Then run any resident anti-virus/anti-spyware apps in safe mode and see if they can knock out any baddies they couldn't get at in normal mode. If you can get the VX2 cleaner plug-in for AdAware SE on a floppy or CD etc on another (clean) pc, install that in the resident AdAware on the problem pc and run that in safe mode also.

Then see if you can get back to normal mode - good luck!

7. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

Thanks again. We'll try that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice