1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vacuumed the top of my monitor and now it turns off

Discussion in 'Games' started by ayse9477, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ayse9477

ayse9477 Thread Starter

Okay so I was vacuuming my desk and the areas around it and the top of my computer monitor looked dusty so, without thinking, I vacuumed the top of the holes and a lot of what I think was dust came out and it made a strange whirring noise. My computer was still on but I turned it off straight away and, a few days later, I played minecraft and my computer shut off onto a black screen after about 30-45 minutes of game play. The screen and the monitor were still on but the screen was just completely black and I had to turn the computer off and, when I tried to play again, my computer did the same thing but sooner. This also happened when I tried to play Sims but I can keep my computer on dormant overnight for a week and it won't shut off, it's only when I do things that I think make the computer work harder.

After looking through other question sites, I've read that it's something to do with static electricity or my computer is heating up too much. I downloaded CoreTemp and it says that my computer is (from what I can remeber) about 50 degrees when I play minecraft. I'm not sure if that' normal ???

I'm quite young and I don't really know much about technology, all I want is my computer to be fixed :(

If it helps, my computer is an Acer Aspire X XC-605 and I've had it for 2 and a half years :)

2. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    static electricity can kill a PC, either while it's running or not. and a vacuum cleaner can do it.
    even from outside the tower, it sounds as though the strong suction of the vacuum was stressing the power fan. the effect of static can be sudden.

but check by unplugging from the power source and remove all devices, external drive, etc from the pc. holding the start button for 20- secs and replace the power plug back into the wall socket. try rebooting to see if theres any signs of life.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice