Vaio 505 Pcmcia Cd Rom Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chigga

hi guys i'm new here.. i just recieved an old PCG505 series laptop running at pentium 266 mhz and i just reformatted the c: drive cause it was used up big time.. no i have no clue on how to reinstall the OS because it seems to me it does not recognise the cd-rom drive... it's an external drive and i thought it would be as easy as reinstallin on a desktop pc... i hope you guys can help me.. i've read through other success stories but i seem to missin some drivers or someparts to the autoexec or config.sys i'm a comp newbie.. help!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome, do you have the floppy disk with the PCMCIA drivers on it?

chigga

yes but i think it's just drivers for the cd rom but not for the pcmcia..

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
But, but, but, it has the drivers for the pcmcia cdrom? Correct?

chigga

i think so.... hmmm.. it has picc.exe and picd.exe and install.exe

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Try the install.exe first. If you are asked to modify the autoexec.bat and config.sys files, say yes.

chigga

it does not ask for any modification.. it just installs on to C: basically just copies those files onto c: i've tried modifing according to previous threads that i've seen u have been great help too... but i guess after reading through other forums.. ppl are sayin it's impossible to get a sony to be booted unless u have a sony cd-rom drive..

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Have you tried copying the Mscdex.exe file to the hard drive too?

I'm not familiar with the Sony laptops, but I would think that things should be able to be done the same way.....

Once installed to c: can you type at the prompt

edit autoexec.bat
and hit enter and see what we are working with?

then the same thing for
config.sys

Also, if you have links for the people who say it can't be done, I'd be happy to read those.....

chigga

thanx for the help.. unfortunatly i have to get going for my evening classes now.. thanx for the help.. i'll keep u posted with my progress thanx alot!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
OK, Just post back when you're ready to have at it again.....

we don't give up here without a vicious fight :D

chigga

thanx alot! i'm back and this time determined to get this workin.. holla at me wif some steps!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Did you check the contenets of those two files I mentioned? And can you verify if the file mscdex.exe resides in the c: directory on the hard drive?

chigga

ok there's not much info on the 2 files... hmm... so u want the mscdex.exe on C: i'm gonna check wat the config.sys and autoexec.bat says

chigga

ok so now there's a folder called PICC with picc.exe and picd.exe
in it.. the autoexec.bat and config.sys is on the main C:
config.sys reads
DEVICE=C:\PICC\PICC.EXE
DEVICE=C:\PICC\PICD.EXE /D:MSCD001

and the autoexec.bat reads

MSCDEX /D:MSCD001

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online