1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vaio VGN Laptop Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by biggmik, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggmik

biggmik Thread Starter

My Vaio VGN FW11 laptop which has been my faithful friend would not boot this morning - 'a disk read error has occurred' message appeared. I downloaded a recovery iso and ran that but it won't load through to the recovery screen which makes me think I'm in the deep and my HDD is dead.

So question 1 - is this an accurate assumption?

Question 2 - I have backed up most things including the official windows 7 download file (I upgraded from Vista 2 yrs ago) on my external HD, however if I replace the internal HD, how will I boot up the OS from the file I have saved externally? Can I use a restore disk on a fresh HD?

Question 3 - If not, how... and how much is this going to cost me?

Hope you can help

Mik

2. biggmik

biggmik Thread Starter

Question 4 - if I replace the SATA hard drive, will a SATA II be compatible?

3. Lance1

Lance1

Were did you download the ISO from? Digital River, A Torrent site? The windows 7 downloaded upgraded file has to run within Windows. So you'll have to do a clean install of Vista using the key on you system case and then do the Win 7 upgrade.

As for the disk read error I would download the manufacturers diagnostic app and do a full certification scan on the drive.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities

SATA is backwards compatible, so you can install a SATA 2 or 3 SSD in the laptop that has a SATA 1 connector. It simply won't work to its full speed potential. You'll see an improvement in speed though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice