1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vaio will not connect using ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mpov, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mpov

mpov Thread Starter

I have a similar problem to the attached link:
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/813381-solved-brand-new-vaio-will.html

I travel a lot and many hotels only offer wired internet. (n)

My sony Vaio VGN TZ250n (vista home) requires the ethernet cable box to be depowered and repowered to connect via the ethernet cable. After I reset the ethernet box, I can connect to the internet. But, if the room does not have a power cord for the ethernet cable, then I'm unable to connect.

In the attached link - the member said he "turned off a plethora of useless services that were set to auto".

What services can I turn off that may help me to connect?

thanks in advance-

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no "cable box" at hotels. You're connecting to some type of switch. You just connect the cable and go. Disabling services randomly will only cause you problems. There aren't any services that prevent wired Ethernet access from functioning properly.

3. mpov

mpov Thread Starter

Generally when I call the hotel's internet support line, they tell me to depower and repower the ethernet line. If they don't have a power line in the room - they will remotely repower the line. (turn the entire system off and then back on)

My internet connection by cable in the hotel room for the last year has been filled with powering the connection on and off to make it connect.

Any other suggestions?

4. mpov

mpov Thread Starter

PS - just unplugging the cable from the wall does not work.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no power on an Ethernet line. They must be power cycling some piece of equipment like a switch or a router. That isn't necessary, however, in order to connect a computer. I've connected many computers to many types of networks at hotels and other places, and I've never had to power cycle anything.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have been using VAIO laptops for our ten years and have never had this problem.

One thing that may be happening, is that you have a wireless connection that is set to auto connect and can not, so it could be interfering with the Wired connection.

The only way I can think of fixing this is to do a reboot, of the system with the "Wired" connection plugged in.

7. mpov

mpov Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help -
    I finally got through to the hotel support. It turns out the LAN had been disabled. I think you are right about the wireless connection set to auto connect, because this issue is intermittent

for anyone else with the problem, these are the steps:
    open windows network connection

Select Window key+r
    the run command comes up
    type in ncpa.cpl
    ok

on the network connection,
    my LAN was disabled

Right click on the LAN and enable.

Thanks again :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!