1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vanishing Mouse Pointer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BEL6772, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BEL6772

BEL6772 Thread Starter

I have an HP Omnibook with Win2K and Office2K. While working in Word, the mouse pointer disappears after a while. It seems to happen after I've opened, edited, and closed a few documents. Usually, by the third document I can no longer see the pointer in the document. The pointer still shows up in the menu bars and outside the Word window, but whenever I move it into the actual document, it disappears.

I tried disabling "click and type" since that operates a modified cursor event, but no luck. To get the pointer back, I have to power down and re-start.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Brian

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    For many problems, always make sure your hard drive is cleaned up:

http://www.piersontech.com/07-CleanHardDrive.htm

For this specific one, also right-click My Computer. Hit Properties. Hit Performance tab. Hit Graphics button. If it's set to high, lower it to see if it helps. If it's not set to high, do so now and see if it helps.

I had the problem a while back. Setting to high helped.

3. Gram123

Gram123

I encounter a similar problem on my brother's PC at home when working in Word.
    The mouse pointer and cursor sometimes go invisible in the last 3 or 4 lines of every page.
    They're still there, just invisible. Selecting text can be a lot of laughs.
    He (my brother) didn't have his graphics card drivers correctly installed when it happened, so hopefully now that they're instaleld it will be solved - I'll check it tonight and let you know.

Gram

4. Gram123

Gram123

Yup - problem solved at this end.
    So, if Dreamboat's suggestion doesn't solve it, make sure your graphics card is optimised with the most up to date drivers.

Gram

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Moved to Windows forum, because it's not application-specific and because settings/drivers are Windows-related.

6. BEL6772

BEL6772 Thread Starter

Thanks! I started looking for video drivers. The most recent one available on HP's support site listed "disappearing pointer" as one of the items fixed by this rev. I downloaded and inststalled, no further trouble :)

7. Gram123

Gram123

Glad to hear it worked Brian!

Gram

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice