Vanishing Mouse Pointer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BEL6772

I have an HP Omnibook with Win2K and Office2K. While working in Word, the mouse pointer disappears after a while. It seems to happen after I've opened, edited, and closed a few documents. Usually, by the third document I can no longer see the pointer in the document. The pointer still shows up in the menu bars and outside the Word window, but whenever I move it into the actual document, it disappears.

I tried disabling "click and type" since that operates a modified cursor event, but no luck. To get the pointer back, I have to power down and re-start.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian

Anne Troy

Anne
For many problems, always make sure your hard drive is cleaned up:

http://www.piersontech.com/07-CleanHardDrive.htm

For this specific one, also right-click My Computer. Hit Properties. Hit Performance tab. Hit Graphics button. If it's set to high, lower it to see if it helps. If it's not set to high, do so now and see if it helps.

I had the problem a while back. Setting to high helped.

I encounter a similar problem on my brother's PC at home when working in Word.
The mouse pointer and cursor sometimes go invisible in the last 3 or 4 lines of every page.
They're still there, just invisible. Selecting text can be a lot of laughs.
He (my brother) didn't have his graphics card drivers correctly installed when it happened, so hopefully now that they're instaleld it will be solved - I'll check it tonight and let you know.

Gram

Yup - problem solved at this end.
So, if Dreamboat's suggestion doesn't solve it, make sure your graphics card is optimised with the most up to date drivers.

Gram

Anne Troy

Anne
Moved to Windows forum, because it's not application-specific and because settings/drivers are Windows-related.

BEL6772

Thanks! I started looking for video drivers. The most recent one available on HP's support site listed "disappearing pointer" as one of the items fixed by this rev. I downloaded and inststalled, no further trouble :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online