1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Varios blue screens

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tvamvarg, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Thread Starter

Recently bought a Shuttle SN41G2, Athlon Barton 2500+, installed WinXPProSP1. I use the integrated Nvidia graphics which shares system memory.
    I get blue screens all the time, with different error messages; PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, errors referring to nvidia dll drivers etc.
    I typically happens when I run graphic-intensive stuff (Operation Flashpoint 3D shooter for example).
    Other symptoms: In games and even on desktop sometimes I get artifacts (horizontal lines etc). I have problems resuming from standby.

Here's what I tried so far to solve:

* Updated BIOS (really nForce) to latest from Shuttle.

* Tried different graphics drivers from Nvidia, the 41.14 that came with the Shuttle, and later 44.03 and 45.23.

* I have two TwinMOS DDR 512Mb PC3200 400MHz modules. Same problems if I remove either of them and run on any single module.

* Allocated 8, 64 and 128 Mb to graphics. Same story.

* Lowered memory speed (to 75% = 248MHz, FSB at 166MHz) in BIOS, while keeping processor speed.

... all to no avail.
    To me, it seems like a memory problem, perhaps worsened by the fact that the graphics adapter needs to access it (on a specific speed - I don't know where to adjust the VGA BIOS settings, if anywhere). But since the memory is 400MHz, and the memory needs to run at 333MHz it should be OK, shouldn't it?
    If I had another brand of DDR memory I would have tried that, but I don't. I also haven't tried installing an AGP card (I have a TNT2/32Mb somewhere) but I just assume that would work fine.

Well, anyone out there that can give me any ideas on what to do/try? Big thank-yous to anyone sharing their thoughts on this!!

Regards,
    /tvamvarg

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Thread Starter

Only updated the display drivers, not the entire nForce kit - sound like a swell idea :D although someone before me must have tried running the system on the supplied driver package?(anyway, will try and return as shortly as 10Mb over my modem allows).

System and CPU temps should be OK (40-45 degr.). Using the shuttle PSU (it shall manage XP3200+ and 8xAGP card, so I can't even be close to maximum).

Thanks, so far!!!!

4. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Thread Starter

On second thought, I actually had installed the 2.45 nForce package. And then tried different display driver versions.
    Anyway, the 2.45 package is no good.

Seems like a hardware issue, only is it the memory modules or something on/near the GPU???

(By the way, I cannot try the old TNT2 AGP card, can I, since it is not a 4x or 8x card...?)

Bloody h_ll, I spent most of the weekend on this - anyone pushing me in the right direction, I'll be so grateful!!

5. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Thread Starter

Well, all of a sudden it all works! After having tried a lot of different Advanced chipset BIOS settings (memory timings etc.) I told it to load 'optimized defaults' and from here on, everything works fine!! The display driver settings are very restricted (e.g. 1280x1024 maximum at 60Hz) but I don't dare mess with it anymore (e.g. install another display driver) since everything else is just fine or better. I'm just sorry I'm not sure what created these problems firsthand.

Now all I have is the resume from standby issue...

6. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Thread Starter

Final take:

Found the place http://www.nforcershq.com/ where the 'definitive SN41G2 RAM compatibility list' is posted as a sticky on the 'shuttle' forum.

Seems many people have problems with integrated graphics - glad mine finally worked (for however long that will last...).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice