Various 20H2 update errors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gazza

Hi,

Pardon me asking, but I have been trying to install the 20H2 Windows update on my computer. But everytime I have tried it gets to about 30% after the first reboot, and then the screen goes black and nothing happens with the computer.
I have done a search on the forum, but I cannot see anything that is similar to my problem. I have two screenshots of the error codes I get.

Thanks in advance.

Gazza

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191030181817.000000+000
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13, CPU Count: 6
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 243 GB (142 GB Free); D: 1099 GB (8 GB Free); E: 763 GB (730 GB Free); F: 221 GB (141 GB Free); G: 782 GB (175 GB Free); H: 931 GB (709 GB Free); I: 149 GB (42 GB Free); J: 1863 GB (584 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B360M-A, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 190755083301032
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: BullGuard Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

crjdriver

I see a few potential issues;
1 BullGuard Antivirus, Enabled and Updated. Uninstall or disable this and attempt the update
2 You list a LOT of drives. Are these all different physical drives OR do you have a single large drive partitioned into multiple logical drives?
3 I have never been a fan on inplace upgrades; I much prefer a clean install of the operating system. If this were me, I would backup whatever data files you want to keep and clean install windows with the latest update using a boot usb install.

You might want to wait a week or two; the 21h1 update is going to be released to general use soon.

gazza

I see a few potential issues;
1 BullGuard Antivirus, Enabled and Updated. Uninstall or disable this and attempt the update
2 You list a LOT of drives. Are these all different physical drives OR do you have a single large drive partitioned into multiple logical drives?
3 I have never been a fan on inplace upgrades; I much prefer a clean install of the operating system. If this were me, I would backup whatever data files you want to keep and clean install windows with the latest update using a boot usb install.

You might want to wait a week or two; the 21h1 update is going to be released to general use soon.
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply, and to answer your questions.
1. Today, I uninstalled Bullguard and disabled the Windows Defender firewall as well, before I tried the 20H2 update again.
2. I think I have 4 drives, 2 are solid state (C:\ and D:\), the other 2 are normal drives partitioned off to make other drives.
3. I have done a backup of my C:\, but not yet a full Clean or re-install of Windows 10, as I don't really want to spend days re-installing all of my software back onto the basic computer again.

I have tried the Microsoft Media Creation tool to try the 20H2 install, but not from a USB stick.

I will take your advice, and wait for the 21h1 update, to see if that works.

Thanks.

Gazza

crjdriver

When you make the next attempt, I would open the case and pull the pw connectors from all of the drives except the system drive. Do the update. When you are finished, you can shutdown and reconnect your other drives.

gazza

When you make the next attempt, I would open the case and pull the pw connectors from all of the drives except the system drive. Do the update. When you are finished, you can shutdown and reconnect your other drives.
Hi,
Thank you for the information.
Gazza

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online