Various BSOD's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dl-itservices

Hi
I have got a laptop (Samsung) running Windows Vista Home Premium and whenever it boots up I get a BSOD.
I have had BSOD's just dumping memory with no errors, ntfs.sys and fltmgr.sys
I can get a desktop in Safe Mode, but whatever i try and do, i will get a BSOD.

I have ran windows memory tester, all clear (tried removing one stick, then the other, swapping slots, etc)

I tried to run CHKDSK from safe mode command prompt but get a BSOD.

I am pretty much at a loose end with this, cannot boot from windows cd as i only have a recovery disk and not the OEM disc (I don't want to loose data if i can help it).

Any Suggestions?

Sounds like a corrupt disk drive if you are getting "NTFS" errors -- you may have a bad block.

In Safe Mode run eventvwr.msc an look at the "System" Log for NTFS errors. Run chkdsk on the drive:

http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-vista-chkdsk.html

The log for chkdsk will be available in the Applications log > Wininit entry after reboot -- you can copy paste that here.

This could also be an error with a disk scanning program such as an Antivirus; so from Safe Mode you might try removing, testing and reinstalling any current security programs you have.

To test further, try a "Clean Boot" >>

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << written for Vista but apples equally to XP

-------------------------------------

Finally:

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Microsoft driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

dl-itservices

Thanks for this.

I have tried running a chkdsk from safe mode, but before the process starts, i get the blue screen.

Whenever i try and load something from safe mode (ie, MSCONFIG, Control Panel, etc) I get a blue screen as well. I am practically locked out, the only thing i can get is a safe mode desktop.

In attempting any of these operations-- have you been in the "recovery/repair" environment? This should be available as "repair my computer" from the F8 boot menu as a pre-installed option

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm

If everything is failing and I had no choice but a clean install I would remove the drive and attach it to another computer using an IDE to USB drive converter.

You might want to test after just physically removing and reseating the drive as well.

Accessing that way would allow you to run chkdsk on the drive (the drive letter will be different, just like any external drive you might attach to another computer) and you could at the very least recover some personal data.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-DSC5-3-5-Inch-Converter-Adapter/dp/B000HJ99DI/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts