Various problems Windows Me

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tambadoodle

Hello - Happy New Year!

I would be very grateful if someone could offer me some advice - big problems with computer!!!

1. My Control Panel has sort of disappeared - if I click on it, a window open and it says that there are 40 items in it - but I can't see anything or click on anything.
2. My MSN home page will not display - it says "done" but it is just a blank page.
3. I can no longer follow any Javascript links on the internet - nothing happens.
4. My CD rewriter no longer works - won't recognise any CDs and it says "device not ready" in the properties.
5. I have tried to do a system restore but it says it is disabled and I have to enable it in Control Panel - but I can't get into anything in the Control Panel (problem #1!).

As far as I can tell, these problems may have arisen from me installing some anti virus software - Kaspersky (I think). I did a scan and it detected 2 viruses - Tojan-Spy.html.paylap.aa and TrojanDropper.Win32.joiner.aj. I asked it to disinfect which it did - howvever, after this I have been having all sorts of problems, particularly on start up, so I uninstalled Kaspersky and now I am left with the above problems.

Do you think it is fixable or should I get a new PC? (which I had been thinking about anyway as my current system is 5 years old).

Many thanks!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Do you have a "full" version Windows ME CD and a fully-bootable startup floppy disk? If you do, you'll be much better off with formatting and wiping out the hard drive and reinstalling Windows ME from scratch. It'll give that computer a clean start and get rid of a lot of problems and all the junk that's built up in that computer over the years. I've got 3 computers and I've done it to all of them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're using a computer for basic use and not for anything that requires a lot of processing speed and a lot of RAM, a 5-year old computer will do you just fine.

What is the processor speed and amount of RAM in that computer?

What it the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online