1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Various problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kalisto01, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalisto01

kalisto01 Thread Starter

I’m having all kinds of troubles after I installed a 56K PCI modem. I got a warning during the driver install that it wasn’t certified but installed it anyway. On the box it says that it works in Vista. In the driver folder Vista wasn’t there so I assumed it installed the XP drivers. I would like infos on the followings. When I first I rebooted I got a BSOD with the details” Stop:c0000142{Dll initialization failed} Initialization of the dynamic link library winsrv failed. The process is terminating abnormally”. I rebooted again and I haven’t seen it since.
    When I check device manager in Vista 32 SP1 the first listing I see is the following entry which wasn’t there the last time I checked.
    @%SystemRoot%\System32\Sys Class.dll,&

I openned the entry I got the following
    “IDE Channel” – which was listed 6 times
    “Standard Dual Channel PCI Ide Controller” – which was listed 3 times

I removed those entries and rebooted and checked again. The entry was still there but now it list these.
    “ATA Channel 0” – listed 3 times
    “ATA Channel 1” – listed 3 times
    “IDE Controller” - listed 3 times

Like I said these entries were not there before.

Also I wanted to do a system restore but I get the message that there are no restore points available. If I try to do the same with the Vista disk I get the same message. I did in fact do a system restore point last Sunday afternoon. Why can’t I find it? Where are the restore points located in Vista?. Can I go and find it and try to start from there?

Another thing is that my wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse are not working.At boot time I can go to the Bios and move around using the keyboard or select F8 for the boot selection. In safe mode both of them are not working also. The only way I can move and select in Windows is using my graphic tablet and the pen.
    Also tried to do a repair with the Vista disk but that didn’t work also.
    I know very well there’s always the old trusted method of re-installing Windows but I want to try everything else before. I did do an image backup in dec. so if all fails I’ll try that. Should have done a more recent one however. I guess you learn all the time. Next time I’ll do images more often.
    Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    Raymond

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice