1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VB Error Msg

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Ferne, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ferne

Ferne Thread Starter

I foolishly downloaded a shareware program that fouled my computer. My main problem is that when I try to reinstall AT&T Worldnet IS software, I get a VB error msg that says "Failed Advise Event Source" and then the AT&T software hangs...specifically being unable to dial the AT&T number to set up the account and then, of course, the installation cannot continue.

Can anyone explain to me what "Failed Advise Event Source" means and what I can do to resolve it? I'm ready to wipe my C drive and start over!!!

Thanks in advance!

Frustrated Ferne

2. angel

angel

It can get confusing if you post the same issue more than once. If you would like your <a href="http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60072">original post</a> moved to a different forum, you can request that in the original thread.

3. Ferne

Ferne Thread Starter

Originally, I thought where I'd posted the original message was the best place to ask my question but when I didn't get a useful response, I thought I'd try here. I'm sorry that you are so easily confused. But thanks for the totally non-related, off-topic reply.

Ferne

4. angel

angel

Pardon me for offending you in some way. I was simply informing you that you were breaking the forum rules - no duplicate posts. If you do not receive a response to the original question you can reply to it to bump it to the top or request that a Moderator move it to a different forum - do not post it again.
    And the reason it is confusing is that it's hard to track responses to two different posts and is rather irritating to those that are trying to help you. Hence the forum rule. You can see this in the <a href="http://www.helponthe.net/rules.html">here</a>.

5. THoey

THoey

A reply like that will probably get you no help at all. Angel is a knowledgable Senior Member here and has helped many. She very tactfully pointed a site policy out to you. If you have a reason to disagree, please be *TACTFUL* about it...

6. Ferne

Ferne Thread Starter

I apologize for getting people in a snit. No, I did not see the forum rule about multiple postings. Had I, I would have certainly complied. It was simply my intent to get some technical help with a problem that was causing me a great deal of frustration and costly downtime.

As there appears to be more rules than sound technical advice here, I'll not trouble you any further with my tactlessness.

Thanks anyway.
    Ferne

7. angel

angel

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think if you stick around awhile, you'll find this site is an exceptional one for 'sound technical advice'. You have to remember that those that help here are doing so completely because they want to - it's all volunteers. Most questions are answered quite quickly but some do take some time to sort out and a few are overlooked. When the latter occurs, usually just replying to your post for assistance will get it noticed. And if that doesn't help, you can Private Message a Moderator.
    Everyone here isn't all knowing and there will be a few problems/questions where a resolution may not be found but it won't be because we didn't try.

In regards to the rules - I think they are just and are the reason this site is so popular. Many other tech support forums you'll find are completely in disarray and do not portray the level of professionalism this one does.

If you do decide not to stay here because of a few rules, I do hope you find something elsewhere.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice