1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VB6 compiled in WinXP won't run in Win98

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by tanjames_ph, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanjames_ph

tanjames_ph Thread Starter

Hi, I hope I don't sound too stupid but this is my first VB6 program and I compiled it in WinXP but when I copied and ran the thing in Win98, some code won't do their job.

I made some "scripting.filesystemobject" calls mainly to copy files and check for folders, I also tried to read the contents of an "excel.workbook". The scripting portion seems to work most of the time (not always), but the "excel" portion just won't run.

I have Office2003 on my XP and Office2000 on the Win98 machine. I was thinking this shouldn't cause a problem since the Excel files are saved in the "Excel 97-2000" version.

Any thougths? Please :)

-- a really green VB programmer (James)

2. saraj81

saraj81

Not sure if this will work but i had a similar problem
    some of your dll files will over write those in the windows 98
    some of these are not compatable
    what i did to solve this was copy the dll files in question this takes time to find the ones causing problems
    and put them in a folder called system98 instead of using the XP dll from the system folder, then i compile my exe using these
    this solved my problem
    hope this helps

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/252355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice