1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vdieo / Memory Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jbl023, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbl023

jbl023 Thread Starter

I just bought a new P4 1.8 Chip with a Soyo P4 152 mobo and 2 sticks of PC133 256 MB chips. The problem I'm having is that sometimes when the computer reboots it won't find the AGP card (GeForce 4 64 MB less than a year old) after turning the computer on/off a few times it will start fine. Other times when it starts it will make it to the Windows XP Pro screen (shows the op loading) but then blacks out and stops booting.

When the computer does boot and make it all the way to the op, it seems like it is running slower than the 700 Mhz it replaced.

Checking BIOS, it shows the correct processor, the computer finds all the RAM. The video card has been pulled and reseated, the memory pulled, rearranged and reseated with the same results. The case, p/s and HD are also new.

Any ideas? Any help is apprecited.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

What do you mean when you say it won't find the AGP card? Does no video display on the monitor at all?

Also, can you test the computer with just one stick of ram at a time?

3. jbl023

jbl023 Thread Starter

When the computer boots the monitor is blank (no signal) and the POST beeps (according to Soyo) mean there is no video card found.

The memory was tested, removing one stick at a time and rebooting.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

With the same results? No video?

Are you sure the monitor connection is tight? and the AGP card is secure in its slot?

5. dud

dud Guest

Is the sound onboard or PCI?
    If it's PCI try moving it along a slot or two. I had the same problem in a high spec system where the Audigy and the Radeon were conflicting and causing exactly what you describe.
    HTH
    :D

6. jbl023

jbl023 Thread Starter

The onboard sound has been jumpered to be disabled due to the Creative sound card. The sound card and network card have been moved around, trying different slots/orders on the mobo. I'm really starting to think there is a mobo problem. Now every once in a while it won't find the 2nd HD.

I think I'm going to need a very large hammer to solve this problem!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice