1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VDSL Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Giant Octopus, Apr 4, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Giant Octopus

Giant Octopus Thread Starter

I have been using AOL (Canada) for almost 20 years. They are going to end service on April 30th. I was inquiring about an Internet company called Start.Ca. They offer VDSL. Is there a big difference between VDSL and DSL? Would they have to send someone over to install a VDSL line or just send VDSL through the DSL line remotely? Could I still use my DSL modem or would I have to get a VDSL modem?

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You would need a new modem because the service is different, plus most likely the service will need to send a technician to install the fiber optic lines, if they haven't done so already.

5. Giant Octopus

I wanted to ask something. I currently use a landline phone. I have my phone cord plugged into a DSL filter and then the filter is plugged into the phone jack. This is so it wont interfere with my DSL running into my modem which is hooked up to a separate phone jack. When I switch over to VDSL would the DSL filter still work with my landline phone or will I need a VDSL filter for my phone?

This is how my DSL filter looks.
    [​IMG]

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

That filter is for an old-style, analog, POTS (plain-old telephone service) telephone.

Your new setup would be a digital telephone that uses VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol).

7. Giant Octopus

^ Would that interfere with my landline phone? I don't own a smart phone.

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

9. Giant Octopus

Oh man. I just have a regular phone. If VDSL is my only option I guess I have to go back to dial-up.

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you want to keep dsl then perhaps you should post here to find out what is available in your province.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/canbroadband

Are you on dsl or are you using AOL dialer?
    I can find nothing on AOL discontinuing dsl in Canada.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  12. Giant Octopus

Yeah AOL sent me a e-mail and when I called them they confirmed it. It had something to do with not renewing a contract or something.
    [​IMG]

13. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    Regular cordless phone expansion sets work just fine with VoIP lines. You won't need a special phone.

14. Giant Octopus

I was doing some research about VoiP. I need Internet to use the phone? I wanted the phone to be separate from the Internet (like a landline) so that if my Internet goes down I can still use my phone. For instance back in January I had no Internet because there was an authentication server problem on my ISP end. So when I saw that the light was red on my router I called my ISP. If that happened with a VoiP I couldn't use my phone so I would be helpless.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you want to keep your landline service, then keep it. Ask (both the VDSL company and your phone company) about what filter is needed.

My guess is that your current filter (assuming its performance now is fine) will suffice, but I don't know enough about (V)DSL to do more than guess.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice