1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vega m/b onboard sound question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aburnside, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aburnside

aburnside Thread Starter

hello everyone!

thanks to brianf, deuce_mn, and rockn for your help on the last problem of mine.

the motherboard i'm using is made by biostar (<a style="text-decoration:none" href="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=M6VCF">specs</a>). this motherboard seems great so far, except i am having still two problems.

first, how can i get the board jumpered correctly (or configured in cmos?) so that the correct cpu speed is used? i currently have a p3 1000mhz in there, however, on boot it is setup as p3 750mhz, but the cpu frequency settings chart doesn't specify a 1000mhz jumper setting even though the board supports it. any advice would be appreciated!

second, is there something i am supposed to configure for the onboard sound, or is it default? i ask because the sound card i got is bogus and i'm going with the onboard sound since it's available. but i have the speakers connected to the onboard but no sound. looking for pointers!

thanks a bunch in advance!

andy=)

2. brianF

brianF

does biostar have a bios upgrade (flash) for the motherboard??

What is the exact motherboard model number

Onboard sound you probably need to install the drivers off the cd that came with the motherboard

3. aburnside

aburnside Thread Starter

the biostart m/b is model M6VCF, at least that's the "product number" on computergeeks.com, and i think it's also the model number. i haven't located that exact bios upgrade on biostar's web site. i'll try the driver install for onboard sound, makes sense (duh).

4. brianF

brianF

okay, here's what's happening.

Your motherboard is getting the right multiplier for a P3 EB version chip 7.5. The front side bus is currently set at 100 for a speed of 750.

For it to run at 1 gig you need to jumper the fsb to 133 or 7.5 x 133= 1000.

Did you buy the EB version chip, that runs at a default bus speed of 133 or the E version which runs at a default speed of 100???

anyhow to jumper to 133 it's like this

jp1 all open except number 5 closed.

Here is link to jumper settings
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/socket_370/m6vcf/j_m6vcf.exe

From what I saw your highest multiplier is 8, so you would have to use the eb version of the chip

EB VERSION

Multipler 7.5
    FSB 133

E VERSION
    Multiplier 10
    FSB 100

5. aburnside

aburnside Thread Starter

will jumpering it for 133 change anything else? does that mean i need pc133 ram or can i still use the pc100 ram that's in there?

6. brianF

brianF

I'm really terrible with via chipsets, only run intel now. But I would think you would need pc133.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice