1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vent interfering with WoW Gameplay

Discussion in 'Games' started by sammyjo06, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sammyjo06

sammyjo06 Thread Starter

Every time I am playing World of Warcraft and logged into vent at the same time (whether or not people happen to be talking), I drop down to about 1-3 FPS.

I don't have the best system in the world, so my typical fps is only 7-10, but at least I can still (somewhat) play with that FPS...1 is pretty much unplayable, as I can barely move.

Anyways, I thought it might be because my sound cards were out of date, so I went to Toshiba's website to check it out, and I also went under device manager to try to update my sound drivers. I'm using a Logitech USB ClearChat Comfort headset, also, but my computer told me I was up to date with all of them.

I am on a laptop; it's a Toshiba Satellite X205-SLi5 and my OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

I have NO other programs going on in the background -- just vent. I defrag on schedule, I regularly scan for viruses and spyware, I connect to the internet through an ethernet cable (as opposed to wireless), I run disk cleaner, I have as few startup items as possible, I update Windows and my video card drivers as often as possible, and I keep my laptop propped up with a fan blowing on it at all times.

My latency both in-game and in vent are low, and while again my performance isn't amazing even without vent on, my 1 FPS only happens when vent is on in the background.

I don't know if driver detective is legit, but I ran it once and it told me my sound drivers were out of date, despite my inability to find any updates online. I uninstalled DD, though, because I don't know if they just say that to get me to buy it or if it's legit.

Anyways, anyone have any suggestions other than to forgo being on vent? I do that a lot, but I like being on vent to talk with my friends.

2. Masta Squidge

Masta Squidge

sounds to me like your system simply cant handle it. if you are only getting 7 fps to begin with, any software which uses both input and output and has to process the voice is taxing for that thing. You might be able to change settings, use another codec, or something else within vent, but i doubt it.

3. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail

*EDIT*

Okay I retract my last post. I googled your model number on Toshiba's site and from what I saw your laptop apparently has a pretty decent nvidia graphics card and 3gb of ddr3 memory. That leaves me to believe you have some MAJOR issues if you're running that low of a ping. So let's start with this, what is running in the background while your playing WoW? If nothing major is running I'm gonna chunk up all the problems to your actual internet connection. Go to speedtest.net and let me know what speeds you are pulling.

4. sammyjo06

sammyjo06 Thread Starter

^ Thank you for the reply. I think I fixed the issue somewhat, though. I went into control panel > sound settings and I adjusted the headset and mic so that the sound quality was tape recorder. It had been set to CD quality, which was 2nd to highest.

Nothing major is running in the background -- no antivirus software or anything like that. I even turn off windows defender to run WoW, since blizzard made a post that said that causes some serious latency issues. I have turned off all but the essential startup items, too. I even turned off peer-to-peer networking on the blizzard downloader, which I read somewhere can help with latency.

Here are my speed test results, though:

[​IMG]

5. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail

Hmm, that should be plenty to play WoW on. I'll poke around and see if I can get some more advice for you. I do know before we upgraded my roommates comp he had a lot of the video stuff in the WoW options turned down to it's lowest settings, which didn't really make too much of a difference in gameplay. Have you tried ramping down your video settings inside WoW?

6. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya Sammyjo06.

Even though you`re running Vista on a laptop, the specs should cover you to play WoW with reasonable speed.

It could be your firewall (XP and/or router) that`s narrowing potential bandwidth. Try punching the recommended holes in it/them to see if it helps.

Have a look at the Blizzard web page (link below) under the heading `What do I need to know about ports?` That explains it better than I could but in essence, open TCP port numbers 1119, 3724, 6112, 6113, 6114 and 4000 to play, and UDP port 3724 for in game Voice chat.

After you`ve opened the ports, reboot the computer and the router for a fresh start.

Jenny

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice