1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Verizon DSL Disconnects Constantly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mainblz, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mainblz

mainblz Thread Starter

I've had Verizon DSL for a while now, and I'll be honest, its the worst service we have ever gotten.
    It goes down consistently, and by the time i call Verizon Tech Support, internet seems to stabilize and they say there is nothing wrong with my internet.
    I did a line test at dslreports and got the following result.
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2552521

Looks just fine, but what explains the constant disconnections?
    Oh, their 24/7 Tech Support lines seemed to have been closed for a long time now as well. Also, when i try calling corporate, they put my on hold then hang up.

Sooo, what do you guys think?
    Thanks in advance.
    -Jonathan

2. Sponsor

3. Curly

Curly

I do not see your dslreports line test result. And rather than refer us to a lengthy thread to search through for relevant details about your problem, please save us the time by paraphrasing everything.

4. mainblz

mainblz Thread Starter

Shortened and fixed the dslreports line test result link.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Could it be something about your interior wiring?

This is my fix for interior wiring issues.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco NID (Network Interface Device). This is the place the telephone lines come into your home wiring, usually either in the basement or outside near the other utilitiy connections. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand. The splitter I've used in the past is the Wilcom PS-36, it's good for any DSL/ADSL service worldwide.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial

6. mainblz

mainblz Thread Starter

Actually, my Modem was connected directly to my telephone box when i did the dsl test. I'm going down even when connected straight to the box. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

However, that's a good tutorial there, i'm definitely going to try it.

7. JohnWill

If you connect it directly to the telco service entrance, make sure you also disconnect ALL other interior wiring for your tests. That will end up putting the problem in the modem or ISP camp if it still occurs.

8. mainblz

mainblz Thread Starter

Okay, so, This is a major bump, but I looked into the DSL Splitter, but found it was 40-60 dollars, that i don't really have the money for. However, I did rewire the lines to the house. So, i tried it, seemed okay for the first half hour, but then it just got worse than before. Loading a page jumps my ping up to 1000-3000 a lot and it takes 5 minutes to buffer a 20 second video on youtube... Its also been going down even more consistently than before.
    Also, the SECOND i start even the smallest download, my ping jumps so high it counts it as a timeout.
    The worst thing about it, anytime i call Tech Support, no matter what time, it says the offices are closed.
    Ran another Line Quality Test... Still looks fine...
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2558897

9. JohnWill

You can cobble it together using a plain filter, you don't really need the splitter, that's just a really nice way to do the job.

If you simply run the wire direct to the modem, and then put the splitter on the feed to all the other phones, you don't need splitters for any other location, and the phone wiring will be isolated from affecting the DSL connection. It'll work just as well as the splitter, just not as pretty. :)

10. mainblz

mainblz Thread Starter

I disconnected all the phones and it still had no effect, same problems.

11. JohnWill

It could well be the ISP, which is quite likely if you've changed nothing in the house.

12. mainblz

mainblz Thread Starter

Sooo, I should just drop Verizon?

13. JohnWill

Well, I'd first try to get them to solve the problem. :)

14. mainblz

mainblz Thread Starter

Ah see, now that was the problem, we could not get ANYONE to help us. However, last night we were contacting Billing to close our account because were not getting ANY help. Not only did they increase our speed, they gave us a number to the non-scripted tech guys. We have someone coming over tomarrow to check everything out. So hopefully this will get it done :D

15. JohnWill

Amazing what happens when you hit them in the pocketbook! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/851392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice