verizon DSL with MSN 8

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rebel001

operating system Windows XP.

Recently tried to load Verizons upgrade MSN 8 to existing DSL service .(to another PC)

I do not believe the CD loaded completely though I get an indication that I have an internet connection I do not. All attempts bring up a error message

I do not have the entire error message but ..anything you try to do I get a message dll. not a windows image and to check disc.

I can not uninstall, or use the restore points. Every thing brings up a blank screen.

Verizon is not able to help.

rebel001

Not able to do much of anything. I tried Norton System works , booting from the disk , and though it says it is installed it does not work. Anything you try to do , restore point, help center,install/remove causes a " " . exe and then gives the message on 2 DLLs ..

shdoclc "not a valid windows image" & MSLS31 "not a valid windows image."

If I boot from the windows disk and try to repair , it asks for a administrative password. I never made a password. I am holding out on the install option. I think that restores the PC to its original , and that may need a password also.

I would like to try loading the 2 DLL's form a disk. When I search for the DLLs they come up with 2 , I guess one of them is the bad one. I suppose I'd have to delete that before loading the other. I am looking for instructions on how to transfer data I do not want to lose to my laptop.

I guess the upgrade disk from verizon with the MSN I tried to load was corrupted. I work for verizon, should have known better...

Bryan

Bryan
I just did a Verizon install with MSN this past weekend and had problems with the install program too, but it didn't corrupt the OS like it appears it has in your case. I just used the Connection Wizard in XP and created the connection manually and it worked fine after that.

Anyway, have you tried booting into SafeMode? If it will start in SafeMode try doing the uninstall from there or possibly try to reinstall MSN upgrade from there. The other thing you may want to try if you can get in through SafeMode is having XP scan and fix the XP system files. The MSN install appears to have corrupted a few.....

Click on Start>Run, key in CMD and press enter. At the DOS prompt do this

sfc /scannow

Also I found this:
The cause of this problem, originates in Windows-XP. the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) has to be set to 1492 or less. On Win-XP, it's set by default to 1500,which may then shut you out.

rebel001

Thank you. I will try to go to that link and put it on a disk and then try to run it on the PC. I can not get to any sites, so I can not download it. Nothing executes. There's also a system32\MSLS31.dll , not a valid windows image.

When I search the files for the SHDOCLC & MSLS31 there are 2 listed. I expect the 2nd one is the offender and have no idea if the first one is intact.

When you install the disk, it does a system check. I wonder why it does not check for the MTU setting? And as far as verizon tech support is concerned, never heard of the problem & the disk was not the problem. BUt that doesn't surprise me, I've worked for them for 25 years..

Thanks you, I'll try what you said.

rebel001

No I have not tried to start in safemode, but it's worth a try. I'll try the scan. If that doesn't work I'll try and run the windows cleanup utility from a disk..

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online