Verizon Dsl

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

newguy1

So yesterday when i come home from school my dsl is down. I figured i would have to just reset the modem and router and it would be fine, which it was, until i realized i was only getting 10 KBit/s download speed. And then the dsl went out again. So i called Verizon and after talking to the guy for over 30 minutes and trying stupid things he tells me it is a problem with the line. Today the technician came to my house. He tells me that my Westell Model 2200 Modem is the number one problem. He said it's too old and i need to get a new one. He also tells me that i need to downgrade my speed? Im not positive but i believe i have 1Mb speed right now, atleast thats what im paying for... he says i need to downgrade to 768. So basically none of this makes sense to me. Because in the past i have had like 1000 KBit/s download speed before with the same setup. But right now after the tech came i am only getting like 580 Kbits download speed...

So why would i wanna downgrade my speed to lower then i have had before? He told me that it would work better if i did... that makes no sense. I want higher speeds...not lower

What are you guys getting out of this? And what would you do?
Thanks!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The tech was simply being lazy, they apparently don't want to fix the phone lines coming to the house. I'd insist on them restoring the service to what it was, there's no reason to accept a downgrade!

newguy1

He didn't seem lazy because he was there for a long time and seemed to try many different things to fix the problem. He said something about I was too far away from something to get the full signal? I'm not entirely sure by what he meant. But would getting a new modem help this problem at all?

TerryNet

Terry
... too far away from something ...
Certainly happens. But given that your service was OK before, either that is not quite believable or you neglected to tell us you moved your house while you were at school. :)

Modems can go bad and need to be replaced. If its owned by Verizon insist on a new one, since the technician said you need it. But there's really little way to tell if a new one will help w/o actually trying it.

It seems that the technician couldn't figure out what is really wrong. A technician should be able, I think, to determine whether the modem or line is at fault. Even if he has to return with a known good test modem.

newguy1

Lol yeah i definitely didn't move my house. But i have had varying speeds in the past. He seemed pretty convinced that the main problem was the modem but that downgrading would also help. I'm guessing he is just saying that it will be more consistent?

Also he said that i could call verizon and do the modem and downgrade all in one phone call? Will Verizon provide a modem for me? Will it be good? Or am i better off buying my own and not even downgrading? I'm just trying to weigh all my options here and see what you guys think is best.

I was just thinking, would upgrading solve it too? Is it just my specific service?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again.

newguy1

Modems can go bad and need to be replaced. If its owned by Verizon insist on a new one, since the technician said you need it. But there's really little way to tell if a new one will help w/o actually trying it.
I remember him saying something about, he tested just the line i think and got 1000 KBit/s and then when he tested through the modem he got 500. So I guess thats his reasoning for thinking that the modem is bad

I have VZ DSL. They have to be forced to help, because they're pushing FIOS, their big moneymaker. They've disavowed DSL in their ads, and I usually go to www.dslreports.com when I need help.

That IS a very old modem-router, from 2004. The current one is Westell 6100F, and that's a few years old. If you push, they will replace it without charge, but you have to stick to your guns.

newguy1

I have VZ DSL. They have to be forced to help, because they're pushing FIOS, their big moneymaker. They've disavowed DSL in their ads, and I usually go to www.dslreports.com when I need help.

That IS a very old modem-router, from 2004. The current one is Westell 6100F, and that's a few years old. If you push, they will replace it without charge, but you have to stick to your guns.
Okay, thanks. I will go over there and see what they have to say.

I appreciatte all the help!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Certainly press for a new modem, it can't hurt, and it'll eliminate one variable from the mix.

newguy1

Certainly press for a new modem, it can't hurt, and it'll eliminate one variable from the mix.
yeah im definitely gonna do that. and then ill ask the people on the phone about the whole downgrading situation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online