1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Verizon FIOS unable to connect to internet also real slow to connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HollyG, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with Verizon. They had me push the reset button and I was able to connect to the internet again. I mentioned how slow it takes for pages to load. She said if I have two firewalls running that can happen, then eventually it blocks your internet connection. I have the free Avira and am only using the Windows Firewall. She said the Verizon router has a firewall but it's a low security. So I went on the internet was able to get on some sites, but then others wouldn't connect again, said there is no internet connection. All the lights on the router are on. So far it's still working, but this is what happened before when I lost my connection completely.

I have Windows XP, tried it both on IE 8 and Firefox. The router is an Actiontec MI42WR. The problem was with both my desktop and laptop wired connections.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, do you have more than one machine? Do all the machines have the same issue?

I'd start by connecting with a wired connection and booting in Safe Mode with Networking. You can also disable ALL firewalls for this test, you're behind the router so you have it's firewall stopping any incoming threats.

See if that allows normal connections.

I'd also like to see this if Safe Mode doesn't result in normal connections.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

3. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

4. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

5. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

6. JohnWill

I think we need more specifics tests on the sites you can't connect to. The line quality tests don't show anything amiss.

Are there specific sites that you have issues connecting to? Are they always the same sites?

7. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

I don't think so. Like just now I logged onto this site and I clicked the link to go to my posts, it seemed to take forever. I have another window running as well as a webcam, but not sure why that would cause a problem.

8. JohnWill

Since two machine have the same issue, I'd lean on Verizon to replace the router first and see if that resolves the issue.

I've had FiOS for two years, and I can assure you that it shouldn't act that way. :)

9. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

It happened again tonight, lost my internet connection. I tried several times to unplug the router and press the reset button, just could not get a connection. 45 minutes later I tried again and it finally connected. I will call them tomorrow, too tired right now to deal with them.

10. JohnWill

This is clearly an issue that Verizon should address.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!