1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Verizon Internet Security desktop icon

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by elmas156, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elmas156

elmas156 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I like to keep my desktop clean without a bunch of clutter or icons that I don't need. I'm having a problem with keeping one of those icons off my desktop. Every time I delete the destop icon shortcut for Verizon Internet Security Suite, it is replaced when I restart my computer. I have looked in settings but I can't find anything that might effect this. I've never had this problem before and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me how to keep this icon from being replaced after a restart. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. pip22

pip22

It'll be in the Registry but don't go messing with that.
    Download "Ccleaner" from here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Install it & open it.
    Click "Tools" then "Startup"

Look for any entries to do with Verizon Internet Security Suite. Try to find only the one that loads the desktop icon, highlight it, then click the "Disable" button.

Be careful you don't disable the entry that actually loads the Verizon Security software itself

It's just the desktop icon creator you want to disable.

3. elmas156

elmas156 Thread Starter

That doesn't work. I already tried that by running msconfig and changing the startup programs, but the only one listed for Verizon is the one that starts the software itself. Any other ideas?

4. raybro

raybro

Have you looked in the program's control panel to see if there is an option for the desktop icon?

Raybro

5. zbd21

zbd21

You could try this but make a system restore point beforehand.

Unfortunately, removing it from the desktop will require some serious registry hacking. Most of these icons are defined as a GUID subkey.
    You can however try this (at your own risk).
    Open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
    Scroll down the GUID till you find the name of your icon as you see on your desktop.
    Now right click on the "folder" and select EXPORT .. export to something like tweak.reg so that you know what to do if something goes horribly wrong (it shouldn't but at least you have a backup).
    Now right click and delete it off.
    Reboot. The icon should be gone.

This is also symptomatic of programmers who will shove things down on your computer without any regard to what you want. There should really be an option in the program itself about whether you want the icon displaying or not .. they obviously didn't think it was worth giving the user an option.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!