1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Verizon modem problem/lose internet randomly/red internet light

Discussion in 'Networking' started by futbolbjk, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. futbolbjk

futbolbjk Thread Starter

I have a GT704WG Verizon Wireless DSl MODEM/Router and it will randomly stop having internet. the internet will start flashing really fast, stay off, or rarely turn red. but it never stays like this for long, usually only like 30sec-1min. sometimes longer. I have a connection to my router, which is then connected to my modem. and the ethernet 1 light is almost always flashing to. that is the port that is connected to my router, which is then connected to my computer, and several others wirelessly. but the modem is the problem because the internet light will sometimes go off and internet stops working. then i just wait for about a minute and it works again. the ethernet 1 light almost always flashes. need help please! any thing you need to know to help just ask.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Humm:Maybe a power on reset of the modem.Unplug it for at least 30 seconds.
    If it was supplied by Verizon,you might consider getting a replacement.
    Has it always done this or is this a new issue?
    Might want to have Verizon do a line check also.

3. Finger2212

Finger2212

I have DSL through Bell Sympatico and I also experience this almost every night around midnight. It usually goes out for the same time that you specified. I'll be playing COD5 and get a connection interrupted message, but the DSL connection comes back soon enough to avoid getting kicked from servers. It's really annoying.

My money would be on the ISP being at fault. If you're like me and lose the internet only once or twice during the night for a few dozen seconds and then have no issues then it's probably just something happening at their switch or what not.

If you're losing it randomly, as in several times at random times throughout the day, then you might have a connection issue. Your modem could simply be dropping the signal, there could be an issue with your phone line or at some point between your house and the switch.

Basically, if it's happening frequently and there doesn't seem to be a pattern, then I would call Verizon. You will have to endure their ridiculous preamble of checking your connections and troubleshooting absurd things before they'll actually take a look on their end, but it's the best way if you're pretty sure that it's not on your end.

Because short of it being your phone cord's fault, there isn't really anything that you can do about it. If it's the modem or the signal being sent to your house, that's Verizon's problem.

If it only happens a few times a day like mine then I would just endure it.

4. futbolbjk

futbolbjk Thread Starter

I did call verizon and they said they would send someone to check it out, but they never sent someone... and they can't do a line check because when i was talking to them the internet was working, so it will only say it's not working for them, when its actually not working. but the problem is it will stop working for minutes/seconds at a time at random times, cutting me off the internet in whatever im doing. so i'd have to call at the exact moment and have them do the line check then, which would pretty much just be luck.

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

One other idea.
    If you have an extra line filter,swap it with "problem" one.
    If there is another device on the line,like going through a line splitter,take it off.
    Also might try another phone cable as suggested above.Probably not the problem,but that will eliminate the physical line as the culprit.
    And,if you can get a replacement modem,I would.
    Also here is an excerpt from a Johnwill post talking about line quality tests.
    You might consider running some reports to have a look see.May yield some usable info,maybe not.

This sounds like an issue with the modem, the interior wiring, or the ISP.

Connect directly to the modem and run the following test, let's see where that takes us.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.
    __________________http://www.dslreports.com/faq/toolquestion/Packet_Loss_Test__Line_Quality_

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice