Vertical line crash

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

scninjakc

I have been playing wow for a few months and am now having a pretty serious issue. A few days ago i hopped on to play and the computer randomly shut itself off. That problem repeated itself every time i would play it along with blue screens. I reformatted my computer afterwards and it is running much faster with no crashes or blue screens anywhere else. But now when i try to play WoW i get a weird crash that involves my screen being covered in multi-colored vertical lines and an extremely horrid sound. This forces me to hard reboot. If i reboot too soon after the crash my system start up and all the text is a green color and the system fails to start. Any help?

Hey there, That sounds a lot like the graphics card is starting to fail. Do you know anyone that you could borrow a graphics card off to put into your computer to test that out?

Jack-O-Bytes

scninjakc

Unfortunately it's a laptop and I've tested it with a stress test and it did the same thing. Deff the video card.. What can I do?... Buy a new laptop im thinkin... sucks because its pretty much brand new.

considering that it is pretty much brand new could it by any chance still be under warranty?

Jack-O-Bytes

scninjakc

Well I was a tard and didn't purchase a waranty for it. Could it be a clocking issue? I set my laptops power settings so that the card uses minimal power and it runs like a charm. Only problem is it can't run on any high settings or anything. It doesn't crash, but it doesn't run well either. How would I go about underclocking? I know ATI comes stock overclocked (from what i've heard)

This is my card:
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

Well did you changes some settings in the BIOS of the laptop and set the voltage down? is that what you mean by the card using minimal power?

Jack-O-Bytes

scninjakc

No the battery power plan program that comes with laptops. My bios is weird, It doesn't give me to many customization options as far as voltage and clocking.

Hmmmm. It does sound as though the actual graphics card is starting to fail. These can rarely be changed on a laptop. You could try going onto the laptop manufactures website and downloading the newest drivers for it if you haven't already done that. If you have updated your drivers recently you could put the older ones back on and see if either of those things sort it.

Jack-O-Bytes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online