1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vertical Line Grids

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SJackman, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SJackman

SJackman Thread Starter

I thought my problem was some kind of virus so I posted it in the Security forum. But responses there (or lack of them) lead me to believe that it's something else. Here's the problem:

I've suddenly got little grids of vertical lines surrounding the cursor, covering the icons in the system tray, covering the icons in the browser toolbars, covering the start button, covering the icons on the desktop and in various other places. Strangely, they don't cover the icons for Microsoft Word or Outlook in the Start Menu, but they do cover the rest of the icons in the Start Menu. They even appear when the computer is booting up, covering the entire large eMachines logo and covering the entire Windows XP startup page. The "grid" of lines around the cursor consists of groups of 5 vertical lines, each about a millimeter high. There are 5 rows and 3 columns of these groups of 5 lines each. The whole thing is about a square centimeter. The grids around the various icons are similar. When I'm editing text, the grid around the cursor is replaced by a single vertical bar just to the right of the cursor, about a millimeter wide by a centimeter tall.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on a new eMachines M6809 laptop with an ATI radeon 9600 video card. I tried reinstalling the display adapter driver, but it didn't help.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have.

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It sounds like it could be a problem with the physical display monitor.

You said "they don't cover the icons for Microsoft Word or Outlook in the Start Menu". Once you close the start menu, the area on the desktop that would have occupied the two icons that are ok, do the icons on the desktop have the lines at the same spot?

3. SJackman

SJackman Thread Starter

No. The part of the desktop that's beneath the start menu has no icons, just the emachines wallpaper. There are no grids on the desktop except on the five icons on the desktop. All five have grids partially obscuring the words beneath the icon. Three of the five also have grids partially obscuring the icon itself.

4. SJackman

SJackman Thread Starter

I've also discovered that the picture's all messed up, by tons of these little lines, when I try to play a DVD or watch a video clip.

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the grids still appear. To boot into SafeMode, restart the laptop and after the drives are recognized on the screen, start tapping the F8 key. You should have a menu appear. Take the option for SafeMode. Let us know what you find ....

6. SJackman

SJackman Thread Starter

In safe mode, the grids are gone and everything looks fine.

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It sounds like a corrupted display driver is causing since in SafeMode it uses the default Windows driver rather than the custom driver.

Where did you get the display driver you installed earlier? Did you goto the website of the maker and get the most recent driver?

Or it could be a setting on the Display Adapter. Have you tried changing the setting to a different display size or color bit scheme to see if they disappear?

8. SJackman

SJackman Thread Starter

All I did was uninstall the driver and then reinstall the same one. I didn't get a new one. I'll try doing that. I'll also try the other stuff you suggested.

In the meanwhile, I just enabled the firewall in Windows XP, having nothing to do with this problem, and then restarted the machine, and most of the grids are gone, but not all of them. Three of the icons on the desktop and three of the icons in the start menu have grid lines, absolutely everything else is normal, including playing video clips (I didn't check DVD's). Does this still sound like a failing video card, with intermittent problems?

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

might check your refresh rate isn't above what your monitor can handle

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Try this, click on Start>Run, type in Msconfig and press enter. Now select "Selective Startup" and Unselect "Load Startup Items". Click on Apply and OK and follow the prompts to restart.

After the restart, are the grids gone?

11. SJackman

SJackman Thread Starter

I ran msconfig and unchecked what you suggested, then restarted, but it did not help. Note that the first thing that appears on the screen at the beginning of the startup process is the eMachines "e" logo, and it has these little lines running all through it.

I also checked the refresh rate, which is set at 60 Hertz, which appears to be the only rate that the monitor is supposed to be able to display properly.

Another thing that's puzzling is that the whole problem suddenly cleared up for a day or two, but then came back again.

It may also be worth noting that images display fine, but when I try to watch streaming video I get parallel vertical dashed lines all through the video, about 1 mm apart. Some of the dashed lines are all white, some all black, some alternate green and yellow, and some alternate red and blue.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

12. clarke123

clarke123

I'd guess a failing video card

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!