Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertical Lines on Laptop Screen

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DavisMcCarn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello.
Like the title says I see vertical lines on my Dell Precision M3800 QHD touch screen.
I first noticed a few months ago(like 4-5 months) but it stopped until last week. It starts as only 1 line, but as the computer starts to heat up more appear and in different colors. Some guys from the store told to connect it to an external display and check if the problem persists. Well, I tried it and the lines also appear on the external display. Does this mean it's the graphics card and not the screen? Is there any way to know for sure? Also, if it's the graphics card is there any way to replace it without having to replace the whole motherboard? If yes, can i change from a Quadro K1100M to any GTX?
Thank you.

PS(1)- I don't have any warranty :cry::cry::cry:

PS(2)- I also noticed that when watching one of those videos from youtube to look for dead pixels the line(s) only show up on specific colors. For example, when playing the video on full screen I only see the line on green and purple.

#2 ·
Since the problem appears on both screens the Graphics card is probably faulty.
I'm not sure if you can fit another one, some are soldered onto the motherboard, some are in sockets and can be changed.
Even if you can fit another card it should be one that is available for other versions of the 3800 to avoid any problems with it's power requirements, getting too hot etc.

#3 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.