1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Verto Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti4400 Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alastes, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alastes

Alastes Thread Starter

Hello, and thanks for reading this. I hope no one else has posted anything about this and I missed it, so sorry if I have. Anyhow, as the subject states, I seem to be having a problem with my graphics card. I think. All of this started in August of last year, when I purchased a new Verto Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4400. (I guess Verto is just one of the companies that manufacture it or something) I installed it, and right away this problem began. Whenever I play games, they work just fine for a random amount of time. The card works really nicely, and very smoothly...but at random points in ANY game, it doesn't matter if it was just released or if it came out in 1990, the game will freeze. Now, the reason I believe this is because of the graphics card is mainly because it all started up after I got it. The strangest thing about the freezing is that in the upper left corner of my screen there is a small white dot that appears when the game freezes. It won't be there any other time, but when the computer freezes, the little white dot appears. My computer DOES freeze, and occasionally will have the little white dot, outside of games as well. Though it is very rare that it ever does. I have done everything I can think of to solve this problem. I always download the latest drivers, i've screwed around in the nvidia options for the card (I didn't change anything I didn't know of). I did find one interesting thing in there though, that I also wanted to ask about, which I have no knowledge of. The option is basicly a slider which allows you to 'position the texel origin between the upper-left corner and the center of the texel'. I'm not sure what the texel is. The thing that caught my eye though is the 'upper-left corner' bit of it. I don't know if maybe this has something to do with the white dot that comes up during freezing? I'm not too intelligent when it comes to graphic cards and what not, so forgive me if I am not giving enough info here. :)

I am running Windows ME (Which is a problem in itself :p)
    160mb RAM
    128mb Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4400
    750mhz AMD Duron

Sorry for such a long post and what not, but I would really like to figure out just what the problem can be. It has been extremely annoying, and I enjoy playing PC games, so I would like to get it fixxed. Thanks for reading. :)

2. Alastes

Alastes Thread Starter

I tried taking the card out and putting it back in today, and reinstalling everything, but it didn't seem to work either. I've done everything I can think of for it. Anyone have any idea at all? I'd really appreciate some input, if anyone can think of anything? :)

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you don't play games, does everything seem to work without freezing?

Per chance, is the sound card and display adapter sharing the same IRQ?

4. Alastes

Alastes Thread Starter

Yep, outside of playing games, everything works just fine. No problems at all. There will be the occasional freeze up, but very rarely, and probably only due to Windows ME being stupid. And I am pretty sure they are not, as I think I checked on it before (about the sound card and display adapter), but how would I check again to make sure?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    New video cards tend to use a lot of power. If you have a cheap or low wattage powersupply then this could be the problem. You may also want to check the manufacturers site to see if there are any reported problems between your video card and you motherboard. Did you remember to uninstall your old video card drivers? Also update to the latest directx and latest drivers for your video card and maybe even for your soundcard. Intel and Via (two big chipset makers for motherboards) come out with driver updates(intel application accelerator and via 4-in1 drivers) for their chipsets all the time.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice