1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very angry about compaq usb 2.0 pci card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nymb09, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nymb09

nymb09 Thread Starter

im using a dell 4100 thats about 4 years old, the internet connection is a wireless usb modem and everytime i plug in the modem a warning pops up that i have a low speed usb so i decided that i would upgrade it. I spent 35 dollars on a 2 port compaq usb 2.0 pci card, when i went to install it it did seem to be slightly larger than it should be so it was a very very tight fit, after wrestling with it for about 10 minutes i finaly got it in. At first it seemed fine but about five minutes after installing it my computer froze. I wouldnt have linked this to the card if it wasnt for the fact that my computer has never frozen in the 4 years ive owned it and now it freezes almost once a day depending on how long its left on...any idea on how to fix this, what exactly is causing it, or if i should just rip it out of the computer and go back to slower downloads...oh and im running windows xp professional if thats any help at all

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Do you have Service Pack 1 or 2 installed?

3. nymb09

nymb09 Thread Starter

sp2 but this problem was occuring while i had sp1 still installed

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I didn't know Compaq sold such cards - unfornately you gotten taken, a typical 2 port USB 2.0 card costs well under $20 online.

For example: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-201-206&depa=0 is a whooping $7.50.

You may just have a bad card or maybe its because it doesn't fit properly. You could try the card in another PCI slot and see if there's a change in fit and operation. Or you could just return it for another make/model card.

The Service Pack Question is because XP requires at least SP1 to be installed for USB 2.0 to work properly.

On a side note it could also be the a conflict between the card and modem - USB modems are dreaded for their issues and performance.

5. nymb09

nymb09 Thread Starter

my mistake, it was actually $25 dollars but thats still not cheap for somethin thats cause my comptuer to freeze heres the link http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0171478

i bought it from the microcenter, i thought i was better off buying a name brand like compaq rather than getting a 10 dollar no name card...too bad i threw out the package, doubt theyll take it back now :mad:

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That is too bad, because I have yet to spend $20 on any of the 4-port USB 2.0 cards I've installed, and none of them had any problems. Compaq just buys that card and rebrands it, marking it up in the process...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice