1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very annoying - hanging Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rocknchic, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocknchic

rocknchic Thread Starter

I am so tired of dealing with this computer. *sigh*

ok, here's the deal:

I have a computer. It was riddled with viruses. I took the hard drive from the original computer, put it in another, much faster computer. I cleaned everything up and decided to do a clean install. Seemed easier at the time. I backed up the few things that needed it, reformatted, and installed a fresh clean copy of Windows 2000. It ran perfectly in the faster system. Started it up, put AVG antivirus on it, Spybot, a few other things.

So now, I figure, it's all running nicely, let's put it back where it belongs. I put the hard drive back into the old computer, (end of IDE cable, jumper set on cable select), as the only HDD in the system. Go to boot up.

I get the memory testing. I get the boot from cd: line, and it says starting Windows... then the bar goes across ... and STOPS. Nothing more will happen no matter how long it sits. So I try going into safe mode. No go. So I go into BIOS, look around.. everything seems normal, as before. This computer did boot before, albeit very slowly.

I think, well perhaps it's the lack of memory - longshot, I know... I add 512MB memory to the old computer, planned to anyway, since it was only registering 133MB before (had a 256MB with some bad sectors or something- dunno). In any case, nothing changed.

Have checked all wires/connections. They're good.

Does anyone have any idea WHY it's doing this, and what am I going to need to do to get this thing going again?

Thanks for any help~

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Relax, your computer's fine. When you install windows, it generates a hardware ID number that makes it so windows will only run on that computer. Just reinstall windows on the computer you want it to work with. I know it's a pain; 30-40 minutes of wasted time.

3. rocknchic

rocknchic Thread Starter

Really? How annoying. I guess there is no rushing with computers, you have to do it the long way every time.

At least it's an easy fix. Thank you, I'll start a new install. Again.
    :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice