1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very Basic EXCEL Problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by frangeb, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frangeb

frangeb Thread Starter

There's probably some very obvious answer to my question that will make me feel pretty stupid when I hear it, but I've been sitting in front of an EXCEL screen for an hour looking for an answer and I have to throw in the towel. I pasted five columns of data without column headings from one worksheet into a second worksheet. The columns are presently default captioned by EXCEL as A, B, C, D, E. How do I go about changing the captions to I want them to be??

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

You can't change the column labels A, B, C, D... in Excel. If you want column headings, insert a new row at the top of the page (highlight the top row and go to insert, row or right-click, insert) and type in the column headings you want.

3. frangeb

frangeb Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts, slurpee55, but won't your scheme put the captions in the data field - in the cells A1 through A5? The EXCEL sheet that I copied clearly has the captions above the data field. It has captions 1 through 5 each above one of the first five columns of data. Starting with column 6 there is above each column, F, G, H, I, ......

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Hmmm, never seen that. If you open that worksheet and hit Alt+F11 it will open up the Visual Basic editor and you should be able to see if there is some code that renamed the columns.

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You cannot change the column headers, not even via VBA. Select A1, press Shift + Spacebar, then press Ctrl + Shift + + (plus sign, should also be the = sign key). This will insert a new row above all of your data. If you'd like, either post a screenshot of what you're looking at or post the workbook in question.

6. frangeb

frangeb Thread Starter

Thanks slurpee55, and fyrfytr, for your thoughts. It seems that what I want to do cannot be done easily - if it can be done at all. I'm accordingly going to take the easy way out, put my captions in Row A as slurpee55 suggested, and go on with my life..

Thanks again!

7. caraewilton

caraewilton

Daft question, are you sure the original data comes from an excel sheet?

8. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

No, it's not that it's just not easy, it cannot be done.

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

That's what I thought - thanks for helping me know I'm not nuts (well, not too nuts) Zack :)
    But you know, if frangeb has a sheet such as was described, I would love to see a screenshot of it - or even see a copy of the sheet uploaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Might not be able to rename the rows and column, but you can sure make it look like ya did:

[​IMG]

:eek: :D

Jerry

11. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

ROFL!!! That's just funnier than heck Jerry.. :D

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

Dang - it's a mutant!!! :)

13. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

1st generation mutant. Still need a little tinkering with its chameleon gene -- it doesn't adapt well to different "Windows and Buttons" Style settings. A little VB code to read the current color setting and then set the cell shading to match would let it blend in anywhere;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!