1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very easy question...

Discussion in 'General Security' started by JohnLockeTN, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnLockeTN

JohnLockeTN Thread Starter

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but my Peer Blocker is allowing IPs even when I'm not surfing/downloading. I have cable so I know I'm always "on", but why are people connecting to me. I'm also not seeding anything and have a static IP if that helps. I'm sure this is fairly obvious, so could someone please help me. I would feel better If I knew why! ----Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What do you mean "allowing IP's"?

You will likely have 10's or 100's of connections at all times when connected to the internet--everything from your ISP to people scanning for open ports, to netbios requests to file and printer sharing to people measuring facets of the internet for research. That's why we have firewalls in the first place.

Having a static IP makes the situation somewhat more dangerous since hackers can keep trying to get in and keep track of what they have already tried on that particular computer. It gives them more time to try to break the security since they know that the same IP will always give them the same machine.

Run Current Ports and enable all the options in the menus to see the great many connections you have at any one time.

3. JohnLockeTN

JohnLockeTN Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. So do I need another firewall besides the xp firewall (I think you will tell me I do) If so, any recommendations? I have a static IP for utorrent. It works so well I'd rather not switch back to dynamic IP. I have Threatfire and Peer Guardian always running (I have malbytes and super anti virus, but they do not run realtime, only after the fact), but If an additional firewall is needed I will most certainly get one. Will this additional firewall fully protct my IP, or is there an additional steps I could take. Thanks again, knowing too much about port fowarding and not NEARLY enough about security is dangerous!

PS. I just saw your question...Allowing IPs is what Peer Guardian says. Here is what it looks like:
    Timestamp-->Source(them)-->Destination(my IP)-->Protocol(either TCP or UDP)-->Action(allowed or blocked)

Is this not good?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Peer Guardian may be completely useless for the purpose for which it was intended. Why the people who created it think that "spies" from the RIAA or MPAA would use their own registered IP's in order to try to track criminals using P2P is beyond me. In the first place, they are going to hire experts in the field and the IP's these trackers will use are certainly not owned by the people who will use the information for prosecutions. Do they really think these people are that idiotic?

A static IP is very useful for any number of reasons. Mine is static even though I never paid for a static one. I guess that is one advantage of having a small ISP and never disconnecting. And it comes in very handy since people can call me on IP telephones (like Picophone or PCTelephone) using just my IP address. It is more convenient to me than dangerous.

The best security is always a good backup. Using Returnil Virtual System, you can run in a virtual mode where nothing can hurt you. And a disk image like that from Acronis will serve the same purpose if you get infected seriously.

We do not condone using P2P in any form. There is no protection from letting people connect to your machine deliberately. And other clients will continue to try to connect to your IP after you shut the P2P app down since they have no way of knowing that it is no longer running.

And, no, I'm not going to recommend another firewall if you use XP's. If you have SP2 and thus 2-way protection, XP's firewall is perfectly fine, though somewhat less configurable than others. But PCTools and Comodo also have good, free XP firewalls. Don't use 2 since that is unnecessary, uses too many resources, may actually decrease protection due to driver incompatibilities, and makes network problems much more difficult to solve. If you use another, disable XP's.

The fact is that any connection to the internet can allow hackers in. Any door you open is an opening for a crook. So that is why we all need antimalware apps and good system backups.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice