1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very erratic mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jnewton, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnewton

jnewton Thread Starter

Ok well I just finished reading all of the mouse threads I could and nothing seems to help my problem. This happens when I am on the internet usually, but it will occasionally happen off of it also. The mouse will sometimes lag for a moment when I am moving it around. It just stops then goes again, kind of like its stalling. Occasionally this will happen 3 or 4 times in a row. Also from time to time it will not recover from this lag and freezes totally. When this happens I am sometimes able to use my keyboard to restart normally. Other times the keyboard dies too. I've tried settind down my graphics accelleration, cleaning and tightening the inside of my computer, reinstalling the mouse drivers, and restoring my computer. Im using a ps/2 intellimouse and heres my IRQ info:
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win
    9 Promise Technology Inc. Ultra66 IDE Controller
    9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 (free)
    11 Creative SB Live! Value
    11 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee AGP
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 Microsoft PS2 IntelliMouse
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 (free)

Thanks in advance.

2. jnewton

jnewton Thread Starter

One more thing that I just remembered(it just happened:( ) My mouse has a wheel on it that you can click to scroll with. SO when you click it all you need to do is move your mouse up and down to scroll pages. Anyways from time to time this will automatically happen without me actually clicking it.

3. Chris A

Chris A

Could it be over heating a little.. Pull the cover off and blow it out with some compressed air..

How much free ram do you have??

Click Start... Programs... accessories.. System tools.. system information... How much is listed under free resources..

4. jnewton

jnewton Thread Starter

81% system resources free
    Ive blown it out already, Im gonna get some air later in the week for a more thorough cleanup though. *crosses fingers*

5. Chris A

Chris A

I have heard of bad Video card drivers doing the same thing too . So if all else fails you could try replacing the drivers..

6. supertech

supertech

have you tryed another mouse??????? if that dont work try feeding the one you got more cheese:p

7. jnewton

jnewton Thread Starter

The video card im using right now is a loner, my old one died. Im gonna be getting a new one later in the week so right now thats what im waiting for. We'll see if that does anything.

8. Chris A

Chris A

Not sure what operating system you are using but you could try rebooting in safe mode... Press F8 during boot and chose safe mode from the black screen that comes up..

Then go into device manager and look at your devices click the + next to them to see if there are any duplicates or old drivers not being used.. You can safly remove any of the old ones that are not being used.. Mouse Vid card ect... You must be in safe mode to see them though..

9. jnewton

jnewton Thread Starter

Well my old vid card was still showing up, I got rid of that. Still no change though.:(

10. supertech

supertech

have you tryed another mouse yet???? try going into the control panel and open up your mouse propertys

11. captainbaldo

captainbaldo

Check the specs on your motherboard and see if it supports ps/2 port swapping. If it does, swap the keyboard and mouse and see if you still get the same problems...if you don't it could be a bad ps/2 port -- you can probably get a USB mouse or adapter so you don't have to get a whole new motherboard if thats the case. And in case you didn't know, NEVER unplug a ps/2 port while the computer is on. Sometimes it won't matter but sometimes fire and smoke and death from above will come if you do. Do you have the latest intellipoint drivers? It shouldn't really matter -- I don't even use the intellipoint drivers on my MS mouse, but it shouldn't hurt to try.

12. jnewton

jnewton Thread Starter

Supertech: I dont have another mouse to try right now.

CaptainBaldo: No ps/2 swapping.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice