1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

very frequent IE illegal operation messages

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wgreene, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Tonight I downloaded IE 6.0 to supersede the 5.5 version. While using 6.0 for an hour or so I have already received numerous Explorer illegal operation messages. The message is always the same:

Explorer

This Program has performed an illegal operation and will be
    shut down.

Details: EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in modue
    KERNEL32.DLL at 0197:bff87ede.

I have received this message repeatedly while trying to access Windows Explorer. After several such messages in a row I simply have to push the button and reboot. Then I'm able to get into Windows Explorer and operate smoothly, but for only a short while until my computer freezes up once more. Then I have to push the button and go through the same process again.

I also received the same illegal operation message repeatedly after clicking on my My Documents icon, meaning that I was unable to access My Documents.

Next I went into Windows Media Player and after only several clicks I received the message again.

Can someone please tell me how to clear up this problem? Your help will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

Bill

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If the only change you made was to install IE 6 and then the messages started, the first step would be to repair Internet Explorer.
    Go to control Panel>add remove programs and scroll to the Internet Explorer entry. Click remove
    Three choices will appear. Choose Repair.

Post back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice