1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very frustrating: virus, or hardware failure?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Epic, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epic

Epic Thread Starter

I've never seen anything like this. I'm getting paranoid that my machine has a personal, vile hatred for me. Here is the story:

I'm on a wireless network at my apartment complex. Norton recently told me that I had a virus -- gaobot.SY. I ran the removal tool and it couldn't detect it. BUT, I started experiencing peculiar symptoms since then:

First, Norton tries to load on startup (like it's supposed to), but LiveUpdate is disabled, and if I try to open Norton, the process gets killed in 1-20 seconds. I made the mistake of doing a full CD-R backup and a destructive reformat (using my Compaq system restore CDs). So, my OS and AV are back in the dark ages. I reconnected to my ISP's network to log on. I wanted to patch my OS and update my virus defs. I guess I'll never know if I got reinfected, because how would my immature Norton detect it? But Norton still won't stay open for more than a few seconds. Even more frustrating, when I go to Windows Update to try to download the first critical update (SP1), WU opens a window where I'm supposed to choose whether I want to archive my current system files incase I want to uninstall SP1, blah blah blah...well, that window gets killed after a few seconds, and I'm immediately told that SP1 was installed correctly. BUT, if I visit the WU site again, it's listed as an uninstalled update.

Before the update, I'd been getting messages that "NT AUTHORITY IS CAUSING A SYSTEM SHUTDOWN." Apparently, this is a problem common to virii that exploit the same vulnerability as Gaobot. What the hell do I do? I can't patch my OS or update my AV. Should I just throw out my computer and get a Palm Pilot? :confused:

2. Epic

Epic Thread Starter

UPDATE

I ran Trend Micro's HouseCall and found someone running an IRC server on my computer. I think TM calls it BKDOOR SDBOT.GEN. The process is ccpwdpro.exe, and it only shows up in a third party task monitor. If I try to kill it, it just rebuilds itself. It's probably what's preventing me from using Norton or Windows Update.

I have one idea to fix this, but it's kinda drastic and I'd like some other ideas. The only thing I can think of is to do another reformat. This time, though, I'm gonna have to take my computer to my friend's place to get NAV and update my OS. Otherwise, the worm would find me on my apartment's network again.

Any ideas?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice