1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very high signal latency when playing WoW

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tyke, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tyke

Tyke Thread Starter

The signal latency figure given when playing World of Warcraft is very high, around 6000m/s at times. This is making it hard to play on-line and generally spoiling the pace of the game.
    What could be the cause of the problem,can it be fixed and if so..how?

I am running..
    Windows xp with athlon 64 processor.(1gb ram)
    Geforce 7800 GTX graphics card

Nothing picked up in scanning for malware etc with adware, spybot or AVG
    Anti-spyware. No viruses detected by Avast av program.

Any help much appreciated.

2. Jones

Jones

Well, lag like that is typically related to how far away you are from the actual server, and how long the signal physically takes to do a round trip. Has this just become a problem recently, or is this your first time playing the game?

3. Tyke

Tyke Thread Starter

The lag time today was 6045 m/s but it has been lower (around 600m/s yesterday) which still seems high. I have played the game for quite a while now and over recent months it seems to of got worse.

4. Jones

Jones

Hmmm. Have you noticed any problems with your ISP service lately? Slow internet, download times, etc?

5. Tyke

Tyke Thread Starter

Pages are slow to load on some sites occasionally, especially those with a lot of image content, but I took this to be normal and a problem with their server.I am connected using a 1mb ADSL connection and its showing as connected at 1.1mbps

6. Jones

Jones

Where is the WOW server you are connecting to? Is there one closer to you with a lower response time you can try?

7. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

WoW had a patch today, and WoW uses its own background torrented downloader to distribute the patch - your latency may be related to multiple users acquiring the patch from you.

8. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

Addition: There was apparently a problem with the patch, which is being re-patched. It may be related to your latency issue as well.

9. cowcow20

cowcow20

m/s has to do with internet connection.... lag has 2 do with ghz and graphics cards, and types of memory problems ect..... try getting a better internet connection

10. meat_golem

meat_golem

We use tiscali broadband (2mb) for our PC. WoW runs fine, i usually have <150MS.

There has been a lot of ruckus lately over the patching system. A lot of the players (myself included) have had trouble with the background downloader.

Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.

The latency youre experiencing is most likely tied to the downloader. When you get the splashpage before running the game itself, change the update options (bottom left corner) to download on game EXIT. then you can play and download afterwards. much better.

If youre not *far* into the game it might be worth re-rolling on a different server. I used to play on Sylvanas and has consistent lag. Dragonmaw has very little in comparison. at least for me :p

11. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

To the OP: If you were using NTL - a cable ISP - I could understand your latency problems, as I and the majority of NTL/Telewest users playing WoW experience network difficulties probably due to Telia - Blizzards choice of server providers. I'm more often than not getting a latency of 300 in Warsong Gulch, and 200 just in Orgrimmar. Most other NTL users either disconnect or get latencies of over 1,000.

But you're using ADSL, so I'm not sure what your problem may be. First step is to read the Blizzard technical forums, and post a tracert. If you're connecting to the internet through a router, try connecting directly using an ADSL modem instead.

12. Tyke

Tyke Thread Starter

Jones....I use the "silver moon" server which is in France. I don't know of a closer one.

cowcow20... by "better" do you mean faster or with a different ISP?

13. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Just an FYI.. I too get high spikes.. It's happened twice in two different locations..
    My usual is about 70 to 160 Ms... It spiked to over 1,800 at one point..
    (On 3Mb cable.. Charter on the West coast U.S.)

I turned off the P2P part of the downloader so its direct http only, and its set to download after the game closes..

It can all depend on whether your ISP has oversold your market.. if others in your neighborhood are downloading.. I get peek and off times..
    If you can, try playing at different hours of the day.. see if there is any change..

14. shujinko

shujinko

I would ask around on the WoW forums and see if you can find a server that's closer to you. Try rolling additional characters on other realms and see if the lag follows you there.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524250