1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

very important my computer freezing up all the time

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by flippermorg, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flippermorg

flippermorg Thread Starter

hello my computer will freeze up at any given time and make a trtrtrtrtrtrtrtrtrtrtrtrtr sound and i have to restart my computer

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

In order to better respond to your question or problem

We require more detailed and specific information. Could You please repost it with as much of what is in this post as you can.

Please repost your request with:

Computer: Brand Name

Age of system:

CPU: Brand, speed

Ram: Type, amount, speed

Peripheral devices

Operating system: Windows 98, 98SE, ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Other

Do you run Anti-Virus software: Brand Name, version #, date of most recent AV signature file

For Video or Graphic problems

Video Card: Brand Name, type, speed, Chipset, driver version and date

Video settings: resolution, advanced settings

For Internet problems:

Modem: Brand name and date of driver

Type connection: dial-up, cable, sat/DSL, other

Browser: IE, Netscape, version #

For Network problems:

LAN card(s): Brand, # of cards

Router: Brand name, type

# machines on network

Network settings and IP configuration

Please state your specific problem and when it started

Did you change anything, install anything before the problem started?

List any recently installed software

List software running in background ie: anti-virus program, mail programs, backup software.

Any power disruption or incomplete shutdowns

Failed Scandisk/chkdsk or defrag attempts

Use of any “tune-up” utilities, registry utilities, system diagnostics, other third party utility software

Recent downloaded software

Any new programs or files that have recently appeared in your STARTUP menu or msconfig STARTUP listing

This information may be of critical importance in locating and correcting the source of your problem. Please note any additional information or detail about the problem that may be of value in our assessment of the problem.

Thank you.

3. flippermorg

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 450 GB Total
    Video Card: Radeon X1900 Series
    Monitor: SyncMaster 931B/931BF/931BA/930BA(Digital)
    Sound Card: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
    Speakers/Headphones: ALTEC Lansing vs-4121
    Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 110
    Mouse: Logitech Mx 700
    Mouse Surface: 3M precise mousing surface
    Operating System: Windows Vista¬ô Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Whenever freezing occurs, we need to read heat in Windows first of all od cpu and system. Downloading and installing Speedfan is your best bet to do that.
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    Then we need to find out if ram is compatible because most people don't understand how to buy ram properly and a download of speedfan and a run over night for at least 4 full tests which takes 3-4 hours on a floppy boot disk the download will make, will tell us that.
    www.memtest86.com
    the noise you describe could be a video card fan failure, a wire hitting the hsf or other case fan so I would take the side off and watch inside as this begins to occur as well.

5. flippermorg

ah you see the noise is comming from my speakers

6. stupidcomputer

stupidcomputer

Hard Drive could have dust in it.

7. supportpros

supportpros

Yeah the first thing I would check would be hard drive.

1) Unplug your speakers and see if the sound comes again when your computer crashes. This is to isolate that the sounds coming from the speakers and not inside the computer.

2) If the sounds coming from inside the computer, from where is it coming? The hard drive? And by tchtchtch... do you mean it makes a clicking sound? That would point to hard drive as well.

3) If the sound is coming from the speakers, then try to see exactly what you are doing when your computer crashes. Are you opening a specific type of file? Using a specific software, like a video playing software? ARe you playing a game? This'll help narrow down whats causing the crashes.

4) Have you installed any new hardware of software recently? If so, try uninstalling the software and see if the problem occurs again. As for hardware, try removing it (if its nonessential) or replacing it and seeing if the crash re-occurs.

5) You could also try stress testing specific components of your system, like the CPU, or the Ram, or the GPU, and if the computer crashes while you're stress testing it, you've probably found your culprit. I like to use the one built into the Nvidia Control Panel, but of course you would need to have an Nvidia video card installed for that.

8. flippermorg

no now it changed you see the sound is comming from my internal speakers and its a high pitch sound and my computer is blacked out at first i thought i ight me over heating but its not tht i have is open on my desk with 7 internal fans and 1 big house fan on the side and it still does it

9. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If the sound is coming from the internal speaker and high pitvhed continuous, it could well be a heat issue. Fans will not always cure it as internal temps are not necessarily helped- fans just move air in the case. The shutdown as well points to heat issues, as self protection.
    It is quite possible the chip is getting too hot due to a mis seated heatsink, lack of thermal paste, or some other reason. Graphics card mauy be running hot, which would potentially give an overheat signal and cause the blackout. Might be worth checking temps, even if just in bios, and seeing what you have.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

If it sounds like a siren then it could be the cpu overheating...check the hsf.

11. flippermorg

and how do u suppose I fix this

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!