1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very interesting and frustrating

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by taros14, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taros14

taros14 Thread Starter

Ok well ... this has been a problem that has been ongoing for quite sometime now. I install Windows, and everything goes well until it's time to go to log in. It goes to blank screen. The HDD does not run, no mouse pointer, no sound, nothing. The computer is on and that is all. I can boot in Safemode, but that is it. I tried chkdsk /r and I've also tried the whole bootcfg /rebuild stuff, but nothing works.

I figured, well it is my video card, NOPE. I can perfectly load Windows 98 and Ubuntu onto the computer, but I need Windows XP PRO on it. I have Windows XP PRO SP2 CD and I have tried to install it about 12 times and nothing. This is an old computer, and I got rid of Windows XP PRO SP2 to re-install it (because it wasn't genuine). Any ideas????

Thanks

2. The Hound

The Hound

Motherboard, chipset, and -especially- video drivers which work with 98 and linux may not (probably will not) work with XP.

If it's really a MacBook, I haven't a clue where the right drivers might be found...That's an Intel box, right? Intel may have chipset and bus drivers.

What vid card?

Boot to safe mode. Click start, run, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
    Tell us which devices have yellow or red marks on them.

3. taros14

taros14 Thread Starter

For 1, this isn't on my MacBook ... it's on my older PC the Pentium 3. I had XP PRO SP2 on it before. And the only device that has a yellow ex mark on it, is the ethernet controller

4. The Hound

The Hound

That sort of information is helpful indeed...

If it boots in safe mode, but no vid in normal boot, you're right..it's certainly video related. If the XP is a retail version, the chipset and vid drivers may not be there.

What type of older pc? Custom built, or Brand name box? If it's custom, which mobo and vid card, please?

5. taros14

taros14 Thread Starter

Custom Built ... but as I said, I have had Windows XP PRO SP2 on here before.

Combo: KDS Visual Sensations Monitor
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)

6. The Hound

The Hound

Attached Files:

7. taros14

taros14 Thread Starter

I can't seem to find a download for the D-Link that works .... it's a D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. When I look for a download, it says Windows XP should understand the adapter automatically. And I installed the NVIDIA driver and sill nothing working.

8. The Hound

The Hound

That's nice the way D-link walks you through finding the download, then telling you there's no download...

Let's try PCI chipset drivers...

Run Everest again, and click the plus next to chipset...

9. taros14

taros14 Thread Starter

I'll run it tomorrow as I need sleep for work tomorrow and post what the PCI is. Thanks for ur help so far. seriously, it's really helping me dude :)

10. The Hound

The Hound

okay then...

11. taros14

taros14 Thread Starter

PCI:
    Creative SB PCI128 Sound Card
    D-Link DFE-530TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (Rev C)
    Harmonics HCF 56k Modem
    nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 Video Adapter
    VIA AGP Controller
    VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    VIA VT82C596B Integrated IDE Controller
    VIA VT82C596B Integrated USB Controller
    VIA VT82C596B PCI-ISA Bridge
    VIA VT82C596B Power Management Controller
    VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
    VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller

Chipset:
    North Bridge: VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133

DOnt know what u want exactly so there are 2 things, haha

12. The Hound

The Hound

Try the Retro (not the Hyperion) 4 in 1 driver found here....

13. taros14

taros14 Thread Starter

Still no dice dude .... does it matter that Im installing all this in safe mode?

14. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You said in the first post that the copy of win xp pro was illegal and you got rid of it. Question are you trying to install with the same copy of windows xp pro and trying to use a newer product ID code?

15. taros14

taros14 Thread Starter

No I have another copy .... and it wasn't that it was illegal as we paid for it, it just wasn't considered "Genuine"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/614425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice