1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very loud beep/whine before crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boswell255, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boswell255

boswell255 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I've started having problems with my fairly new PC (only a couple of months old)

Occasionally, and without warning, my computer starts making an extremely loud long beep noise at the same time as crashing. It does not sound like the internal speaker(although it could be), but it is definitely coming from inside the case. As soon as the sound starts, there is a crackling noise and the screen goes black. I have to switch off the PC quickly because the sound is very loud.

Now the first few times this happened, I looked inside the case and found that the CPU fan had been disconnected and wasn't spinning. I reconnected it and assumed the problem would go away, which it did for a while. A few days later though it did it again.

It's only happened maybe 5 or 6 times over about a month, but I'm afraid it'll happen again and I'll lose unsaved data.

Not sure of the exact Motherboard specifics, but I have an ASUS motherboard of some description, with an Intel core duo CPU 6600 @ 2.4 ghz and 2.39 ghz

Graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX (I've been having slight graphics issues, may be related). I removed all other cards and the problem still happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve.

2. D-Rock

D-Rock

do you know who made your bios? Its most likely somone like AMI, AWARD, or PHOENIX. If you can tell us this we might be able to tell you what that long loud beep means. A cpu fan not spinning is definitely a problem though. It seems most likely that its an award bios and your long beep means its a memory error. Check this page out, it has tables that explain beep codes for the three bios's i mentioned.
    http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

3. D-Rock

D-Rock

if you dont think its an internal speaker then its most likely a fan that has unseated itself. like the cpu fan, then the motherboard recognizes that the main cpu fan is not spinning at proper rpm and shuts itself down to avoid overheating and destroying everything. I would also makes sure that all of your fans (mainly cpu) are seated and mounted properly. Check for any damage to the fans as well.

4. D-Rock

D-Rock

did you get everything worked out? if so what was the problem?

5. boswell255

Thanks D-rock,

I'm afraid I've been away this weekend and haven't had a chance to have a look at what you suggested. I'm gonna try and determine my BIOS in a moment and check out the relevant site, and see if that can shed some light. I'll post back here in a couple of minutes.

Thanks again :D

Steve.

Edit: Ok I had a look, and all I managed to determine from what flashed up was that the BIOS was some version of American Megatrends, and the mobo was Asus P5B.

I didn't want to restart too many times though as I always hibernate and I don't want to lose any restore data (I know it's probably safe, bu I'd rather be safe than sorry.)

6. D-Rock

D-Rock

well if it a single beep for an american megatrends bios, then that is a memory refresh error. that means your memory is going bad. however, i wouldnt go replacing your memory until you are sure it was a beep from inside the computer and not a fan making noise. to test your memory you can find a file online called memtest. burn it to a disk. leave the disk in your drive and reboot the computer. the memtest program will automatically start. i think there are other ways to diagnose your memory as well if you dont have a cd burner/blcnk cd.

Memtest-86
    this is a zip folder, unzip it and it will have a cd image in it. burn the image to a disk.

if anyone else knows a reliable and accurate memory/RAM diagnostic utility please feel free to chime in.

7. boswell255

Thanks D-rock :D I'll give that a shot.

I really hope it isn't my memory though :(

8. D-Rock

D-Rock

let us know what happens

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the EXACT make and model of your power supply? Please post a link to it.
    Is this a custom built machine, or a mass produced machine?

10. brite750

brite750

I cant think of a darn thing that will magically unplug your cpu fan over and over again unless you have ghosts, the niose may be your bios telling you the cpu is overheating because the fan is unplugged.

11. boswell255

@Win2kpro: Atrix Power Switching PSU Model# 500T. It's custom built in the sense that it was built in a shop, to my spec. but I didn't build from scratch myself. I have added to it though

@Brite750: Last I checked it was still plugged in, and it has made the awful noise since then. Strangely it hasn't happened since starting this thread. I think it knows I'm on to it ;)

12. D-Rock

D-Rock

if it was making an awful noise that almost inexplicably explains your problem. your cpu fan bearing is going out. sometimes it will make noise, other times it wont. But that is MOST likely your problem. The bearing is going out, the fan slows down, the motherboard acknowledges the low cpu fan RPM and shuts off. The loud noise is probably the bearing.

13. brite750

brite750

you need to verify where the noise is coming from, one technque is to open case run pc and put you finger on the hub of the fans to stop them for a second to see if noise stops, NOTICE I SAID THE HUB, NOT THE BLADES, just a light touch usually is enough to stop blades

14. D-Rock

D-Rock

exactly what he said, the only problem is that he says that the noise is intermittent not constant.

15. brite750

brite750

I hate that, you will have to wait for it to do it i guess

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/655376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice