1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very low hard drive space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 43420, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 43420

43420 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've been having some problems with my hard drive. I have a 44GB hard drive on my computer. I've calculated the total amount of space used for that drive (ALL files/programs/folders/hidden files,folders....etc) and they all equate to about 18GB. So then, I should have around 36GB left. But then when I right-click on my hard drive it says that I only have 17mb left. I've checked several times and I've restarted my computer. But it continues to tell me that I have 17mb left.

I'm not sure what's going on. It was fine about one hour ago - I still had around 20 something GBs of space. I'm not really sure but just before this happened I was using a program called "Video Dub" (I was trying to resize the resolution of a movie but then it had an error saying that I didn't have enough space on my hard drive).

Can someone please help me? :confused:

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Try a system restore

3. 43420

43420 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying!
    Unfortunately, I had system restore turned off XD I turned it off last time to get rid of some viruses.

4. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

You can easily find out how much space a program takes up by selecting properties and viewing the size. Don't forget about hidden files, saves, etc. as these can take up a substantial amount of space.
    You may also have a backup partition on that drive as well which could easily take up 10 GB.

5. Maxturbo211

Maxturbo211

uhh, if you use a torrent program, be warned, some of them reserve the amount of space that the downloading file is going to take on your harddrive, so if you're downloading a program, and the total size is 4 gigs, and its only 2 % done, it'l show as your harddrive has lost 2 gigs so that you don't run out of room in the middle of a download.

i've personally only had this happen with azureus, but i've heard of some other programs doing it too.

6. 43420

43420 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying :)

I do use torrents and I'm aware that they reserve space. But I haven't been downloading torrents for a while and plus I searched my hard drive for any torrent part files(indicative of a torrent download in progress) and there were none. I checked all the file sizes as well (I don't really have a lot of files on this drive so it's very easy for me to check).

I've checked for hidden files...and all the files that are visible on my hard drive add up to about 18GB. I'm really not sure where the other 20 something GBs went to.

But as "MichaelDee" suggested about the backup partition - I think that could be a possibility. But then what do I do to free up some space?

I've also been wondering whether the computer might have caught a virus....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice