1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very low read speed on Samsung Spinpoint 2TB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by savagefarmer, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savagefarmer

savagefarmer Thread Starter

Hello, I have a system with the following setup:

AsRock K7vt4a pro
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    2x1GB PC3200 DDR1 (Running at 2700)
    Eminent PCI Sata controller
    Samsung 2TB Spinpoint ECO Green
    Windows Server 2003 (Fully updated)

I have hooked up the Samsung 2TB disk and another 1GB disk to the sata controller. Now when doing benchmarks I get the following results:

[​IMG]
    Seagate 1TB

[​IMG]
    Samsung 2TB

Since I'm using a SATA2 HDD on a SATA1 controller (through PCI) I wasn't hoping for breakneck speeds, but this is crazy. I'm struggling to figure out why the read speed is so slow: I'm not even getting 4 MB/s. At first I thought the Samsung disk was misaligned, but that can nowhere near explain the slow speed. :(

Does anyone have a clue what might be causing this? Maybe the controller cannot handle disks of this size?

Thanks for any help! :)
    Sav

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I would look in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers (yes, even for SATA) to see if your drive is running in UDMA or PIO mode. It should be UDMA mode.

BTW, my 1TB Caviar Black shows 102 MB/s for read and 99 MB/s for write using the same test program.

3. savagefarmer

savagefarmer Thread Starter

I have checked the transfer mode for all disks: it was DMA. The write speed also suggests that DMA is being used (PIO wouldn't be able to handle this write speed, right?)....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice