1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very mysterious crashes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jrak, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

I have a Plextor PX-708A DVD Drive in a computer that uses Windows XP Home and has 1 gig of ram. It ran without a problem for more than a year until today. After writing a DVD data disk using Nero, the disk ejected and the computer re-booted. Plextor technical support had me swap cables, run a diagnostic test with the IDE cable detached (it passed the diagnostic test), use msconfig to disable all programs in the start menu, and remove and reinstall the device. Nothing worked. Here's the mysterious part: if I use a DVD (video or data) from a manufacturer, it runs without a problem. If I use a CD or DVD that I previously created (video or DVD data), the system crashes and reboots. It does not matter what brand of CD or DVD. Anything that I have created previously crashes the computer. The Plextor people are stumped. I also did a virus scan, disk check, malware check, etc. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I have seen this before on a win98 system and solved it by removing the virtual driver

just can find all the details ????? - i'll keep looking

watch for an EDIT here

3. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

Thanks! You're the first person I've come across who has encountered this problem before.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it was a very simple thing to fix - i just cannot find the instructions - I thought i had the solution here on TSG - but its not in the replies to the question i posted - so i must have googled and found it - but cant now ....

5. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

I've googled it too, but with no success. That's why I posting the issue on tech forums to see if any one has dealt with it before.

6. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

This is an update on the problem described earlier. I bought and installed a new DVD drive. The same problem occurred with it. It can read a disk from a manufacturer, but when I put a disk that I have created, the system crashes and reboots.

I'm going to uninstall my CD writing software next and see what happens.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

I uninstalled Roxio, rebooted and the problem was solved. Not sure why, but I have read in other forums that Nero and Roxio don't always work together. Sure wish that I had done that in the first place!

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    good news that you got to the issue in the end :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice