very noisy hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chrisboyd

I have a sony viao vgn-cs110e running windows vista home. I have a loud grinding sound coming from my hard drive. I thought it was my fan but it turned out to be my hard drive. Does anyone know what may be causing this and how I may souve the problem?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
A "grinding" or "ticking" sound from the hard drive are symptoms that it's dying.

If you have any personal data(documents, videos, music, photos, etc.) that you don't want to lose permanently, you need to back it up to reliable external media while you still can.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is the support site for the Sony VAIO VGN-CS110E laptop.

--------------------------------------------------------

SUEOHIO

SUE
A clicking noise is another sign that a hard drive is going bad.as was stated above make sure what you dont want to lose is safely on another media like a cd/dvd etc.

chrisboyd

Thank you both. I have an older sony viao that is running Windows Xp. The way I understand it I can take that hard drive and use it in this computer. Is that true? I understand that the os is not on the drive but on the motherboard so I will lose the info on this drive but have any info on the old drive. I have all my important stuff backed up already.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you remove a hard drive that contains Windows Vista and replace it with a hard drive from another computer that contains Windows XP, it will not work.

The Windows operating system will need to be reinstalled in the hard drive in the computer.

------------------------------------------------------------

Something else to be aware of.

If a computer has been running Windows Vista and you downgrade it to Windows XP, make sure first that all of its devices will work with Windows XP.

------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online