1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VERY odd cpu temperatures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by opus669, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. opus669

opus669 Thread Starter

I have a custom Athlon 64 3000+, 1 gig ram, radeon 9800 pro, and an MSI k8t neo fsr. The problem is that my cpu temperature keeps switching drastically (by about 20 degrees) every now and then when i turn it on. For example, today my cpu temperature is at around 47 degrees C, and it will idle in the high 40 range for the rest of the day. However when i turn it on tomorrow it may be in the high 20 range all day. It has been switching off between these ranges about every other other day. Is this a misread or is there something seriously wrong with my computer?

2. norton850

norton850

AMD processors like yours usually run in the high 40's. The 20 reading is probably incorrect. How are you getting those readings? Temp utility program or temp sensor with readout on the case?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like the MB sensor has a problem.

4. opus669

opus669 Thread Starter

im getting the readings from motherboard monitor, and the MSI core center software. are they really supposed to run in the 40s? for some reason i thought that was way too high but I guess I was wrong.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

My AMD is usually about an even 40*c. The kill temp on an AMD is about 85*c so I am safe by quite a margin. Before I tore this thing to the bones and rebuilt it with quality parts it would run 65*c which is too hot for me. Right now I am at 38*c but look at what time I am posting this. :) The 40's are OK. 50's I don't like. Pegged at midday this never goes above 45*c.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does your board have something in the bios like "Cool and Quiet" or something to that effect?

A number of the newer boards have an option like this to reduce heat when not using a lot of cpu power [like playing solitaire] This causes a wide variation in reported temps.

7. brindle

brindle

My athlon th. 1gig has run at between 53 and 57c since day one. right now it's at 55c. These have been AIDA32 readings and now Everest readings.
    40c sounds low for that CPU and 20c is not accurate at all.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice