1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

very poor broadband speed to old DELL refurbished PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by meg111, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meg111

meg111 Thread Starter

Hi there, I know nothing about computers but I have a big issue for the past two weeks now since I got the internet in , I have been on the phone to my internet provider over and over and to the computer supplier about this but still don't know what the cause is. I am using a second hand fully working dell pc with no issues other than my broadband speed to the house is supposed to be good and no faults on line they say, but speed to computer is hardly anything at all, 0.3 for the wifi and with the cable it is 9.0 which would be ok but picture quality when trying to downlaod movies /you tube is still unwatchable with or without the cable although much better with cable , Iv been told connection is fine and to the lap top it is but not to the pc . Nobody seems to be able to tell me whether this is because the pc is old (new monitor) or if there is a fault on the line that they are just not picking up. i'm ruuning out of ideas now, any help would be great. Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that refurbished Dell?
    What's the exact 7-character "service tag' number on it?

Do the following in that refurbished Dell so we have a picture of its hardware and operating system.
    Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about that refurbished Dell will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

Who is your Internet Service Provider(ISP)?
    What upload/download speed plan do you have with it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. meg111

meg111 Thread Starter

hi there, thanks for your help but im not very good with this sort of thing and have no idea. I just know that's its an old dell desktop, do you know if an old pc could slow down the broadband connection to it for any reason, they remotely checked it today and said it was fine but them my broadband provider said that my broadband is fine so i don't know what to think. I'm just trying to work out whats the odds of this are that a computer being old could affect its ability to get a good broadband speed at all and why when i use the cable which gives me 10.0 ish speed my picture quality is still fuzzy on downloads? thank you

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    We're not there to see your Dell, so you're making it almost impossible to help you without providing the requested information.

If you know a computer-knowledgeable person who can help you, ask him/her to do so.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. meg111

meg111 Thread Starter

ok I will see if my brother can help me with this. thanks

6. meg111

meg111 Thread Starter

My internet provider is plusnet and I am supposed to be getting speed of 24 but like I said I only get good speed on my brothers laptop but only 0.2 or 0.4 max on my pc , with the cable it reaches around 10.1 but still poor download picture quality. the computer people are sending me a new adaptor in case this is an issue but they said the computer is capable of watching films and should be fine , iv only had it 9 months and had no other issues with it but its clearly old. It was mentioned by an advisor that i may need a better graphics card, I have no idea. there was a fault on the line it was banded and they say it fixed now and is fine, but i have never had a good connection to the PC since i got the internet in.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice